Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you tell me your opinion concerning the interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

Each year, just before the semester starts, Mrs. Fox and I hold an open house for all the members of the staff so that the new men can meet everyone else.

This date was a day when nearly every home in the village was open house to anyone for a cup of tea and something to eat.

Thomas Jefferson held the first Inaugural open house in 1805.

The bank held an open house to celebrate the occasion which was attended by more than 10000 visitors, including representatives from banks in San Francisco, Detroit, New York, and Chicago.

open house = 1. an occasion when a school or institution is open for visiting and observation by the public

open house = 2. a social event in which hospitality is extended to all

held an open house = carry out (a social event in which hospitality is extended to all) or (organize a “day of the wide open doors”)

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Your interpretations are generally correct, though I've never heard the term "day of the wide open doors." An open house can be by invitation or open to the public. In the US, real estate brokers often advertise open houses during fixed hours when prospective buyers (and other curiousity-seekers) can ispect the property.

Reactions: vil

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Your interpretations are generally correct, though I've never heard the term "day of the wide open doors." An open house can be by invitation or open to the public. In the US, real estate brokers often advertise open houses during fixed hours when prospective buyers (and other curiousity-seekers) can ispect the property.

Hi riquecohen,

My guess about this expression is that it is an adaptation Vil has made of the idiom in his native language. We also have such an idiom both in Spanish and Catalan (which are both my native languages). :multi:

Hope it helps.

Greetings,

Charliedeut

Status
Not open for further replies.