[Vocabulary] Is it a weigh scale, weight scale or weighing scale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouse2009

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
Hi. I am writing a user manual for a bathroom scale. Can I call it a weigh scale, weight scale or weighing scale? Maybe I could use any of them. But is there any subtle difference in choosing which one to use? Thank you.

A Reference Design for High-Performance, Low-Cost Weigh Scales

A weighing scale is a measuring instrument for determining the weight or mass of an object.

Digital Weight Scale

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi. I am writing a user manual for a bathroom scale. Can I call it a weigh scale, weight scale or weighing scale? Maybe I could use any of them. But is there any subtle difference in choosing which one to use? Thank you.

A Reference Design for High-Performance, Low-Cost Weigh Scales

A weighing scale is a measuring instrument for determining the weight or mass of an object.

Digital Weight Scale

"Weight Scale"

magimagicE

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
UK
The general term is "weighing scales".

But, they are often referred to by type: bathroom scales, bench scales, platform scales etc.

If "Bathroom Scales" is printed on the packaging or if it is to be the heading of the instruction manual, then you need only refer to it as "scales" for the rest of the manual as the function is clear.

I own three different types of scales (all purchased from Adams Equipment), so I know a little about the instruction manuals.

mouse2009

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
Thanks for the quick response. I think I will use "weight scale" to make it sounds more professional.

It's lunch time in Australia now. I am surprised to see replies from UK and US. Thank you for your time. I appreciate it very much.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would really just use "scale."

jlinger

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Canada
To add my two cents: it's a "weigh scale" here.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I agree with MagicmagicE about BrE usage; we use the plural.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I still need someone to explain the value of adding the word "weight/weigh/weighing" before the word.

I agree whole-heartedly that the scale/scales difference in AmE/BrE is worth noting, but really, what do you do when you step on a scale(s) if it's not check your weight? It doesn't check your cholesterol, determine if you've flossed adequately, or assess your roots to determine whether it's time you dyed your hair again. It tells you how much you weigh.

If I picked up a box containing an item I would use in my bathroom to check my weight and it was called a weight scale, or weigh scale, or a weighing scale, I'd assume it was written by someone who did not speak English as their first language.

The word does not add clarity, formality, or utility. It has no value.

Reactions: 5jj

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree. Scales are for measuring weight.

(There are other uses of "scale" like the Richter scale, but that hardly seems relevant to a consumer product.)

magimagicE

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
UK
The core function of all the different types of scales is to measure weight, however, not all of them output weight readings.

Weighing scales primarily output weight readings. Whereas, counting scales, for example, output the total number of items based on the weight of a single identical item.

In banks, counting scales are used to verify manual counts based on the weight of a single identical denomination. The output reading will not be the weight of the money itself but the actual currency total.

This is why the distinction, "weighing" is needed.

Also, "weight scale" is not used in BrE as it might be a cause of confusion - referring to the measuring units itself as opposed to the function.

Weight scale = tonnes, kilograms, grams etc.
Temperature scale = kelvin, celsius, fahrenheit etc
Length scale = miles, kilometers, meters, centimeters etc.

Hopefully, the OP is wise enough to read between the lines of my previous post and do some research before writing the manual.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But it is the manual for a bathroom scale the OP was talking about.

A consumer product. The consumer knows exactly what it is for.

I don't see the need to distinguish this item from specialized scales for certain industries. To my American ear, calling it a "weight scale" or "weighing scale" sounds strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.