Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Please, native speakers

do you use the word fowl the same way like hen, cock...poultry..???

I have read a text about it, but I am still not sure if native speakers go to the yard, see there a brown domestic bird and call it a fowl:lol:??? Possible???
Common or used only in some situations???

Thanks a lot. KP

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's possible, but it's more commonly used as a collective noun (He had some fowl) and not a singular noun (There is a fowl).

katerina.pata

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you very much!KP

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US, "fowl' would be understood, but it isn't commonly used in that context. Traditionally it is used only in very general terms, such as "I'm a vegetarian, but I occasionally eat fish and fowl." If a native AmE speaker spied a game bird of some sort, they would most likely describe it by its specific name: "I saw a pheasant in my yard yesterday" or "My neighbor's rooster* wakes me up every morning".

*A word of caution: even though "cock" is technically correct, in AmE we almost always refer to a male chicken as a "rooster," since "cock" is a common (rude) slang term for male genitalia.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
*A word of caution: even though "cock" is technically correct, in AmE we almost always refer to a male chicken as a "rooster," since "cock" is a common (rude) slang term for male genitalia.
We British are quite happy to call a male chicken a cock. This could be because, having pure minds, we never think of genitalia.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We British are quite happy to call a male chicken a cock. This could be because, having pure minds, we never think of genitalia.

You'll also say "keep your pecker up" which leads to juvenile giggles over here. ;-)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You'll also say "keep your pecker up" which leads to juvenile giggles over here. ;-)
The way American minds seem to work (based on what I've learnt from this thread, not from any prejudice), I am amazed that it was the 'Western" part that got dropped when C & W music shortened its name.

NikkiBarber

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
United States

I would definitely be surprised if someone told me that they were woken up every morning by their neighbor's cock. I might be worried too.
It is my impression that here in America there are very few words that cannot, in some way, mean genitalia. I've learned to be careful what I say.
Does this mean that Americans have filthy minds or that they are just really imaginative when it comes to nicknaming body parts?

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
In the US, "fowl' would be understood, but it isn't commonly used in that context. Traditionally it is used only in very general terms, such as "I'm a vegetarian, but I occasionally eat fish and fowl." If a native AmE speaker spied a game bird of some sort, they would most likely describe it by its specific name: "I saw a pheasant in my yard yesterday" or "My neighbor's rooster* wakes me up every morning".

An interesting message. So turns out that "fowl" is mostly used collectively like "fish" and "meat", for example.

By the way when I was trained as a guide I was also told not to say "cock" to tourists no matter where they are from. Not necessarily from the US. :)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
This could be because, having pure minds, we never think of genitalia.

Speak for yourself, old cock.

Rover

Last edited:

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
In Russian, believe you me, there are also plenty of words that can make one think about sex-related things... :)

MrPedantic

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I have read a text about it, but I am still not sure if native speakers go to the yard, see there a brown domestic bird and call it a fowl

If a native speaker saw a brown domestic bird and then referred to it as a "fowl", it would almost certainly be humorous.

(The humour in such cases lies in the use of an unusual or or formal or technical word in an inappropriate context.)

Best wishes,

MrP

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would definitely be surprised if someone told me that they were woken up every morning by their neighbor's cock. I might be worried too.
It is my impression that here in America there are very few words that cannot, in some way, mean genitalia. I've learned to be careful what I say.
Does this mean that Americans have filthy minds or that they are just really imaginative when it comes to nicknaming body parts?

There are few expressions in American English which can not be made to sound lewd if said with the right inflection. ;-)

Example:

Man 1: I had to take my car to the shop to get my tires rotated.

(Attractive girls walks by)

Man 2: I'd like to rotate her tires!

Status
Not open for further replies.