• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Albanian
      • Home Country:
      • Albania
      • Current Location:
      • Albania

world often confused

We were offered a constant AMOUNT/Supply of snacks at the reception.
    We watched the birds PECKING/eating/feeding/nibbling on the nuts we had put out for them.
    Doctors are concerned that people are CONSUMING/taking/devouring too much salt last these days.
    Although we tried some interesting dishes when we were on holiday, i found myself CRAVING/pleading/dreaming/starving for my moyher cooking.
    Scurvy is a desease that is caused by LACK/weakness/shortage/flaw of vitamin c.
    it was such a hot summer that ice-cream vendors fount it hard to keep up with CHARGE/demand/request/appeal.
    ++ This is a widespead practice documneted as ......... back as 4500 years ago.
    Last edited by Christin93; 08-Jan-2011 at 16:35.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Re: world often confused

Hi Christin93

As a NES, but not a teacher, I will try to explain which words I would personally use:

Quote Originally Posted by Christin93 View Post

We were offered a constant supply of snacks at the reception.
    Amount tends to suggest a constant quantity rather than that the dishes were being constantly replenished/refilled.

We watched the birds PECKING/eating/feeding/nibbling on the nuts we had put out for them.
    Sounds OK to me, as written.

Doctors are concerned that people are eating too much these days.
    CONSUMING: doesn't always refer to eating (as in consumer goods)
    Taking: Just because someone takes food onto their plate doesn't mean to say that they actually eat it.
    Devouring: This tends to relate to how the food is eaten, not necessarily the actual quantity eaten, although the quantity may be significant.

Although we tried some interesting dishes when we were on holiday, i found myself yearning/CRAVING/for my mother's cooking.
    Pleading: This would mean "begging" others to make the food your mother's way.
    Dreaming: "Dreaming of" rather than "for" could work, but doesn't suggest the intensity of "craving" for it.
    Starving: You would only be starving for it if you didn't eat any of the other food provided!

Scurvy is a disease that is caused by a LACK/shortage of vitamin C.
    Weakness/Flaw: This would suggest the Vitamin C was flawed or had some weakness (not appropriate wording)

it was such a hot summer that ice-cream vendors fount it hard to keep up with demand.
    Demand suggests that they couldn't cope with the volume required.
    CHARGE: This could suggest either pricing or loading something into, say, a large container or hopper.
    Request: This could suggest that they couldn't meet the demand for the range of different types of ice cream being requested.
    Appeal: This could suggest that they could make the volume, but the customers might not like the "mass-produced" product.

++ This is a widespead practice documented as far back/long as 4500 years ago.
    Hope this helps, but would be open to other suggestions/opinions.

Best regards
    R21

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Consuming too much salt. Medical experts often talk of our consumption, especially when it refers to a specific item, like salt or fat. If it was just about overeating, then "people are eating too much" would work best. But it's about a particular thing, salt, so "consuming" is the best choice.

Also it is "I found myself craving my mother's cooking," not "craving for my mother's cooking."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Hi SoothingDave

I would agree with your first paragraph - I simply didn't notice the specific reference to salt.

However, in the case of the second paragrapg, as a Brit NES, I would definitely use the term "craving for", as per the following reference:

Craving - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Examples of CRAVING

1. I had a sudden craving for french fries, so I pulled into the nearest fast-food restaurant.
    2. <a pregnant woman with a craving for pickles>

Maybe it's one of those differences between US and "Brit-speak"

Best regards
    R21

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

As a noun, I would say "I had a craving for my mother's cooking." But, as a verb, "I found myself craving my mother's food."