Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi,

Are "backpack" and "rucksack" the same? I'm speaking about a special bag worn on one's back when going hiking or when going to school every day. When going hiking or travelling we usually put some first aid means, extra clothes, food, equipment, and other things there. When attending school we put books, notebooks, copy-books and stationery there.

Thanks

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Rucksack and backpack describe the same item, but I'll guarantee you that about 90% of AmE speakers wouldn't understand what you meant if you referred to a "rucksack." "Backpack" is the common term used in AmE for such an item.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Rucksack and backpack describe the same item, but I'll guarantee you that about 90% of AmE speakers wouldn't understand what you meant if you referred to a "rucksack." "Backpack" is the common term used in AmE for such an item.

Thanks!!! What about BE? Is "rucksack" a British word? Do BE speakers understand both terms?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thanks!!! What about BE? Is "rucksack" a British word? Do BE speakers understand both terms?
In my BrE youth, we had only rucksacks. Now we have only backpacks.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Why has the word "rucksack" become extinct now? probably it has some other meanings apart from the one we've been discussing here?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Why has the word "rucksack" become extinct now? probably it has some other meanings apart from the one we've been discussing here?
No.

Some expressions/words have their day and then disappear, for no apparent reason.

Much to the amusement of my younger colleagues, I occasionally listen to the wireless. A few of them listen to the radio, though most seem to listen to news and music on their computers (whatever they may be), or something that seems to go by the name of 3mp - I think.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
So let's summarize: is "rucksack" used today in any lind of English (Australian, New Zealand, Canadian, etc.) or the word can't be encountered in any contexts?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
So let's summarize: is "rucksack" used today in any lind of English (Australian, New Zealand, Canadian, etc.) or the word can't be encountered in any contexts?
I can speak only for BrE. Some people of my age (I'm in my mid-sixties) still use it - at the risk of being mocked.:roll:

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
OK. I'll remember what you've told me and will be careful to avoid "rucksack" in my speech. To tell the truth I used to say it rather often when communicating and so far I've never noticed anyone mocking at me or giggling. Probably because those were people with good upbringing who weren't used to showing such kinds of reaction in public.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
OK. I'll remember what you've told me and will be careful to avoid "rucksack" in my speech. To tell the truth I used to say it rather often when communicating and so far I've never noticed anyone mocking at me or giggling. Probably because those were people with good upbringing who weren't used to showing such kinds of reaction in public.
To be fair, I was probably exaggerating when I said that we'd be mocked, but I do feel that we 'rucksack'-users reveal that we are not as up-to-date as we thought we were.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.