Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Aug 2008
    • Posts: 353
    #1

    Reading numbers

    Hi everyone!

    How would you read the street number in the following addresses?

    3121 Aberdeen Street (thirty-one twenty-one or three one two one?)*
    341 Norman Close ( three forty-one; three four one, or..?)

    *(I would definitely not say 'three thousand one hundred and twenty-one')

    Thanks!

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #2

    Re: Reading numbers

    Quote Originally Posted by wace View Post
    Hi everyone!

    How would you read the street number in the following addresses?

    3121 Aberdeen Street (thirty-one twenty-one or three one two one?)*
    341 Norman Close ( three forty-one; three four one, or..?)

    *(I would definitely not say 'three thousand one hundred and twenty-one')

    Thanks!
    I would say "three-one-two-one" and "three-four-one".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 203
    #3

    Re: Reading numbers

    Hi,

    Thirty-one twenty-one
    Three four one, or three forty-one

    Rgds

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #4

    Re: Reading numbers

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard1 View Post
    Thirty-one twenty-one
    Three four one, or three forty-one

    Rgds
    I'd go with Richard on this one.

    At least, I think so. Four-figure house numbers are pretty rare in the UK.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Aug 2008
    • Posts: 353
    #5

    Re: Reading numbers

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    I'd go with Richard on this one.

    At least, I think so. Four-figure house numbers are pretty rare in the UK.
    But they are quite common in the US, that's what set me thinking!
    I wish a few American forum members would have their say....
    Last edited by wace; 10-Jan-2011 at 09:38.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,310
    #6

    Re: Reading numbers

    thirty-one twenty-one
    three forty-one

Similar Threads

  1. Reading numbers
    By echelon in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23-Jul-2010, 20:35
  2. Reading numbers
    By Tvita in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-Dec-2007, 15:20
  3. reading numbers
    By daisy1352 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-Nov-2006, 20:40
  4. reading numbers
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Oct-2004, 17:42

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •