[Essay] Could you check a short writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I'm not sure whether Westerner can get the idea from the writing below.
Thanks in advance. :)

----------------------------------------

Title : “福” in China, Korea.

福 word is often seen on gate and front entrance of house in this season before new year in lunar calendar. (We spend Lunar New Year.)
福 is Chinese character which means “good luck”.
The funny thing is that they put the letter upside down.
(By the way Westerner normally doesn’t notice it due to difficulties of Chinese characters.)
Why we put it upside down? In Chinese, the sounds of “福 upside down” is exactly same way as the sounds of “福 comes”.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Title : “福” in China, Korea.

The word(or 'character') 福 [STRIKE]word[/STRIKE] is often seen on gates and front entrances of houses in this season before [STRIKE]n[/STRIKE]New [STRIKE]y[/STRIKE]Year in the lunar calendar. (We [STRIKE]spend[/STRIKE] celebrate Lunar New Year.)
福 is the Chinese character which means “good luck”.
The funny thing is that they put the letter upside down.
(By the way Westerners normally do[STRIKE]es[/STRIKE]n’t notice it due to the difficulties of Chinese characters.)
Why do we put it upside down? In Chinese, the sounds of “福 upside down” is exactly same way as the sounds of “福 comes”.
I'd re-write your last sentence as: In Chinese, “福 upside down” is pronounced in exactly the same way as “福 comes”.

By the way, in the third line you have said that 福 means 'good luck'. In your last sentence you say it means 'comes'. 'Good luck would make more sense in that last sentence. You also appear to have used the same character for 'upside down' and 'good/luck/comes'. Is that correct?

Hoon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you for your very kind comments.
I changed and added a little bit to make it easier to understand.
So what do you think?

Have a good day!!

-------------------------
The word 福 is often seen on gates and front entrances of houses in this season just before New Year in the lunar calendar. (We celebrate Lunar New Year.)
The funny thing is that we put the letter on doors upside down.
(By the way Westerners normally don’t notice it due to the difficulties of Chinese characters.)
Why do we put it upside down?
In Chinese, “good luck upside down - 福倒了[fudaole]” is pronounced in exactly the same way as “good luck has come -福到了[fudaole]”
So if I put the letter 福 on doors upside down, it means “good luck” has already come.
I can make a sentence using only one letter. Just put it upside down.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you for your very kind comments.
I changed and added a little bit to make it easier to understand.
So what do you think?

Have a good day!!

-------------------------
The word 福 is often seen on gates and front entrances of houses in this season just before New Year in the lunar calendar. (We celebrate Lunar New Year.)
The funny thing is that we put the letter on doors upside down.
(By the way Westerners normally don’t notice it due to the difficulties of Chinese characters.)
Why do we put it upside down?
In Chinese, “good luck upside down - 福倒了[fudaole]” is pronounced in exactly the same way as “good luck has come -福到了[fudaole]”
So if I put the letter 福 on doors upside down, it means “good luck” has already come.
I can make a sentence using only one letter. Just put it upside down.

That's fine. Personally, I would use the word 'character' rather than 'letter' in the three places I've underlined it, but that's up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.