Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

"The under-10s" must mean the chlidren under the age of ten. What should we use when we want to refer to the children above 10?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi,

"The under-10s" must mean the chlidren under the age of ten. What should we use when we want to refer to the children above 10?
It would depend on where you are setting the upper limit, "the under twelves", "the under sixteens", for example.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It would depend on where you are setting the upper limit, "the under twelves", "the under sixteens", for example.

Thanks. What if we don't have any upper limit? I mean when we want to divide them in half?

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks. What if we don't have any upper limit? I mean when we want to divide them in half?
The under tens and the over tens.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
But Merhgan wants to divide them in half.

Rover;-)

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
But Merhgan wants to divide them in half.

Rover;-)

Oh, I take it you misunderstood Merhgan. It was a test to see whether you would accept dividing those poor children in half or not.

:);-):cool:

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Oh, I take it you misunderstood Merhgan. It was a test to see whether you would accept dividing those poor children in half or not.

:);-):cool:

You wouldn't mean to cut the individuals in half, would you?! :-D Anyway, it was a nice piont that Rover_kE made. What about the tens?!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'd say 'Right - those aged ten and over gather round me. The under-tens can stay there for a minute.' (...or reverse the over and under; it depends which group you want the ten-year-olds in.)

(Of course, as soon as you reach your tenth birthday you're already over ten, but children don't see it like that.)

Rover

Last edited:

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In AmE, we usually refer to 11 and 12-year-olds as "pre-teens." In recent years the media has started referring to kids aged 10 to 12 as "tweens" - a slang term to describe that they are "between" being a child and a teenager. :-D So, in summary, we basically classify children as either infants (babies), toddlers (one and two-year-olds), pre-schoolers (three and four-year-olds), various names for five to nine-year-olds, including "under 10s", pre-teens (or adolescents) and teenagers.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In AmE, we usually refer to 11 and 12-year-olds as "pre-teens." In recent years the media has started referring to kids aged 10 to 12 as "tweens" - a slang term to describe that they are "between" being a child and a teenager. :-D So, in summary, we basically classify children as either infants (babies), toddlers (one and two-year-olds), pre-schoolers (three and four-year-olds), various names for five to nine-year-olds, including "under 10s", pre-teens (or adolescents) and teenagers.

Thank you so much for the reply dear Ouisch. :)
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.