Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
Is "settee" a common word in western countries?

(settee/sofa/couch)
Which one is the most common?
Thank you.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

(settee/sofa/couch)
Thank you.
"Settee" and "sofa" are both common in BrE.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'Couch' is too, IMO.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil

(settee/sofa/couch)
Thank you.
Couch and sofa are more frequently heard in AmE.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't recommend using it in the US unless you are an interior designer or something.

If you say to a normal person "Please have a seat on the settee while I get us something to drink" you'll sound a bit pretentious.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The word "settee" isn't used much in AmE, other than by interior designers as Barb mentioned. And, in fact, a "settee" in the U.S. usually refers to a piece of furniture smaller than a sofa/couch - it's something more akin to a love seat. I'd read many books published in Britain that made reference to a "settee," and I'd always pictured a small, elegant piece of antique furniture. During my first trip to the UK I discovered that, along with "cooker" meaning a "stove" and "for hire" meaning "for rent", that to those wacky Brits a "settee" was just a plain old couch. :-D ;-)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The word "settee" isn't used much in AmE, other than by interior designers as Barb mentioned. And, in fact, a "settee" in the U.S. usually refers to a piece of furniture smaller than a sofa/couch - it's something more akin to a love seat. I'd read many books published in Britain that made reference to a "settee," and I'd always pictured a small, elegant piece of antique furniture. During my first trip to the UK I discovered that, along with "cooker" meaning a "stove" and "for hire" meaning "for rent", that to those wacky Brits a "settee" was just a plain old couch. :-D ;-)

I'm not a native, as can be seen from my profile, but I work with tourists a lot and I hear this word quite often from English-speaking people. Of course I can't always be sure that only BE speakers use it, but I'm sure I've heard it from Americans several times. "Couch" and "settee" are often used to talk about special types of furniture intended for royal families and placed in our suburban palaces near St.Petersburg and Moscow. Maybe the word "settee" isn't often used by Americans, but it doubtlessly exists and is understandable.

And BE people aren't wacky :) They invented English, by the way, to which we owe so much :cool:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
And BE people aren't wacky :)
Thank you:up:.

They invented English, by the way, to which we owe so much.
It grieves me to admit it, but we didn't invent it. We inherited a version of it, which we changed. Some of us went to other places and changed (or, in some cases not-changed) it. We Americans, Australians, British, Canadians, South Africans, New Zealanders and all the rest are joint inheritors of something that we have all adapted to our own needs. Speakers of Indian/Pakistani versions of English are sometimes mocked for what they have done with the language, but they have as much right to claim direct descent from Early English as the rest of us. It just so happens that the ancestors of the people who now live in England happened not to have travelled far. That doesn't make their version of the language any purer than any other.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
English has been spoken in India since the 17th century, about as long as in the US.;-)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
"Couch" and "settee" are often used to talk about special types of furniture intended for royal families and placed in our suburban palaces near St.Petersburg and Moscow.

Interesting because in the U/Non-U view of BrE vocab, sofa is U (upper class) and settee/couch Non-U.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not a native, as can be seen from my profile, but I work with tourists a lot and I hear this word quite often from English-speaking people. Of course I can't always be sure that only BE speakers use it, but I'm sure I've heard it from Americans several times. "Couch" and "settee" are often used to talk about special types of furniture intended for royal families and placed in our suburban palaces near St.Petersburg and Moscow. Maybe the word "settee" isn't often used by Americans, but it doubtlessly exists and is understandable.

And BE people aren't wacky :) They invented English, by the way, to which we owe so much :cool:

I think I mentioned that "settee" would certainly be understood by Americans, it's just not very commonly used. I have elderly relatives who refer to the sofa as a "davenport" and their meaning is easily understood, but we still snicker behind their backs because it sounds soooo pretentious. ;-) And Fivejedjon can kindly rein in his snipers, I was only kidding about the overall wackiness of the British people. They had settees long before the U.S. existed, so they can call them whatever they want. ;-)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If this conversation continues, I may need a fainting couch!

(Mostly, I want a lifestyle in which a fainting couch as a piece of furniture would be expected instead of eccentric!)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Status
Not open for further replies.