Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello everyone,

Could you help me with the following:
Today is the first day my students returned to university after the New Year and Christmas holidays. I keep on receiving e-mails from them requesting information about appointments to make up for missed classes, assignments and so on.
The question is:
What do I have to say in English if I have no intention to give a passing grade - I am sorry, but you are not getting a passing grade?
According to the evaluation system we use it is a pass/fail test.

Thank you in advance.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
First of all check whether your university or department has a standard response form. This will save you a lot of worries if they have.

Secondly, remember that what I am suggesting below is no more than a suggestion. I would recommend that you check any wording with your head of department to make sure that it doesn't upset anybody.

"I regret to inform you that your work did not reach the standard required for a pass grade."

What follows must depend on what the situation is. Here are a couple of suggestions.

"You are therefore no longer registered as a student at this university."
"If you wish to continue with your studies, you must first arrange to re-sit the xxxx test/examination"

vectra

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,
Thank you a lot.
Frankly, I am not that strict, and usually I have enough carrots as well as sticks.
Just for your information, I am not authorized to declare that a student is no longer registered as a student at this university.
Tomorrow I will talk face to face with some of the students informing them that due to a large number of absences they are not getting a pass grade.
Besides, I am very fussy about their exercise-books.
The ideas you suggested are great!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Just for your information, I am not authorized to declare that a student is no longer registered as a student at this university.
That's why I suggested you check with your head of department. If s/he is authorized to declare that a student is no longer registered as a student at this university, you can present it as a situation that is out of your hands. You can even express sympathy.

BOOP. Blame others if one can. A splendid recipe for survival. Politicians have been using it for years - why shouldn't we lower mortals take advantage of it at times?

vectra

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Can't blame others. I have always been above board - if you study badly, face the music.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello everyone,

Could you help me with the following:
Today is the first day my students returned to university after the New Year and Christmas holidays. I keep on receiving e-mails from them requesting information about appointments to make up for missed classes, assignments and so on.
The question is:
What do I have to say in English if I have no intention to give a passing grade - I am sorry, but you are not getting a passing grade?
According to the evaluation system we use it is a pass/fail test.

Thank you in advance.

1) I am sorry, but you have not got the passing grade and you are not allowed to take the examinations
2) I am sorry, but your score is lower than the passing grade and you are not allowed to take the examinations

Something like that, if I've understood correctly what you want to say to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.