Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. milan2003_07's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 519
    #1

    afford/affords

    Hello,

    What do you think about as follows:

    Only 2% of the country population afford/affords sending their children abroad to study.

    On the one hand we should choose "afford" because 2% usually means a great number of people (definitely more than one), but on the other hand 2% can be considered the singular.

    What is your view?

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,629
    #2

    Re: afford/affords

    Quote Originally Posted by milan2003_07 View Post
    Hello,

    What do you think about as follows:

    Only 2% of the country population afford/affords sending their children abroad to study.

    On the one hand we should choose "afford" because 2% usually means a great number of people (definitely more than one), but on the other hand 2% can be considered the singular.

    What is your view?
    My view is that I wouldn't write it like that. I would write, "Only 2% of the population can afford to send their children abroad to study.

  3. milan2003_07's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 519
    #3

    Re: afford/affords

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    My view is that I wouldn't write it like that. I would write, "Only 2% of the population can afford to send their children abroad to study.
    Anyway, even if what I've written sounds not good enough for your ear which option would you choose?

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,629
    #4

    Re: afford/affords

    Quote Originally Posted by milan2003_07 View Post
    Anyway, even if what I've written sounds not good enough for your ear which option would you choose?
    If you insist, "afford".

  5. milan2003_07's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 519
    #5

    Re: afford/affords

    I see that my example with "afford" was ill-considered. How about the following:

    10% of the country population travel to New Zealand every year

    90% of students prefer to take food with them rather than buy it at school

    Thanks

  6. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,629
    #6

    Re: afford/affords

    Quote Originally Posted by milan2003_07 View Post
    I see that my example with "afford" was ill-considered. How about the following:

    10% of the country population travel to New Zealand every year. You don't need the word "country".

    90% of students prefer to take food with them rather than buy it at school. This is OK. It would be better if you wrote "Ninety per cent..."

    Thanks
    Bhai.

Similar Threads

  1. afford
    By jctgf in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2008, 04:34
  2. afford
    By kukinecka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Apr-2008, 17:36
  3. afford
    By hela in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23-Apr-2007, 12:13
  4. afford
    By Humble in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-Jan-2007, 09:24
  5. afford
    By zoobinshid in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Jul-2005, 21:38

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •