Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What’s difference between refrain and abstain? I think we should say refrain from doing something but abstain from something. Is that right? Although “abstain” seems to be rare in use!

There are a lot of other words like avoid, restrain, etc. I am in doubt where and why to use either of them.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Abstaining can mean not voting and it can also have a moral dimension- you abstain from something you enjoy because you feel that there is something wrong or immoral about that pleasure.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I think we should say refrain from doing something but abstain from something. Is that right?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You will find abstain from doing and you will find refrain from + noun phrase, though your patterns are more common, but they are not rules:
Go to this site ad enter refrained from and abstained from and look at the search results and you will see that your patterns are not the only ones in use: British National Corpus (BYU-BNC)
If you're no familiar with sites like this, it is a database of language designed for such searches and is very useful for checking questions like yours out.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks Tdol, I found it good.

Would you please suggest me any American corpus site like British National Corpus but with the American accent.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Since there are just a few volume of corpora in this kind of sites, I'd prefer to use Google instead, if you say it's not reliable, I'd say refering to its address would be a good checking up. How do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.