Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 1,050
    #1

    ammo crates

    Dear all,

    What is the meaning of "ammo crates" in the following context:

    "In this final challenge, our bride and groom will try and knock each other off their ammo crates. It's a best of three, and winner takes all for the military tuxedo t-shirts."

    *** Bride and grrom are challenging to decide their reception attire.

    Thanks a lot

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,609
    #2

    Re: ammo crates

    Quote Originally Posted by maiabulela View Post
    Dear all,

    What is the meaning of "ammo crates" in the following context:

    "In this final challenge, our bride and groom will try and knock each other off their ammo crates. It's a best of three, and winner takes all for the military tuxedo t-shirts."

    *** Bride and grrom are challenging to decide their reception attire.

    Thanks a lot
    It might be helpful to know where this text comes from, it's not easy to understand without some context.

  2. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,843
    #3

    Re: ammo crates

    Quote Originally Posted by maiabulela View Post
    Dear all,


    What is the meaning of "ammo crates" in the following context:

    "In this final challenge, our bride and groom will try and knock each other off their ammo crates. It's a best of three, and winner takes all for the military tuxedo t-shirts."

    *** Bride and grrom are challenging to decide their reception attire.


    Thanks a lot
    Please provide some additional context. My first impression is that the sentence was written in jest to let the reader know that the wedding was not going to be a formal affair.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 1,050
    #4

    Re: ammo crates

    Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    Please provide some additional context. My first impression is that the sentence was written in jest to let the reader know that the wedding was not going to be a formal affair.

    What do you mean by "written in jest"?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 1,050
    #5

    Re: ammo crates

    Is it some kind of attire? Something worn?

    Thanks

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 1,050
    #6

    Re: ammo crates

    Could it by any means mean the army jacket where marine corps carry their ammunition??? This suits my context. but I don't have any reference and i'm not sure of what I'm saying.

    Thanks.

  3. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #7

    Re: ammo crates

    I have seen tuxedo t-shirts - they are t-shirts but their printing makes them look like a tuxedo.

    Not really, of course - everyone can see it's a t-shirt, but where the tux jacket would be, it's black, where the shirt buttons are, there are printed buttons, etc.

    It seems that there are t-shirts that look like tuxedos, but instead of black, it's camouflage, military style.

    This program seems like the strangest way to plan a wedding I've ever hear of. People will do anything to have their moment in the spotlight, I guess.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 1,050
    #8

    Re: ammo crates

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    I have seen tuxedo t-shirts - they are t-shirts but their printing makes them look like a tuxedo.

    Not really, of course - everyone can see it's a t-shirt, but where the tux jacket would be, it's black, where the shirt buttons are, there are printed buttons, etc.

    It seems that there are t-shirts that look like tuxedos, but instead of black, it's camouflage, military style.

    This program seems like the strangest way to plan a wedding I've ever hear of. People will do anything to have their moment in the spotlight, I guess.
    and what about "ammo caters"??

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 120
    #9

    Re: ammo crates

    Ammunition crates, ie storage boxes for bullets and missiles.

  4. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #10

    Re: ammo crates

    Crates = wooden boxes.

    I really, really hope this silly wedding show doesn't have real ammunition in these crates!
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. which way up the crates, `TOP', she faced me
    By user_gary in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Oct-2008, 19:51

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •