Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I find it very annoying when people use the word "At" at the end of a phrase such as: "Where is it at?". Is that incorrect?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I find it very annoying when people use the word "At" at the end of a phrase such as: "Where is it at?". Is that incorrect?
Welcome to the forums DianaP. Yes, it is incorrect.

DianaP

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
:up: Thank you for your answer bhaisahab.
I remember in one of my English classes when I was in high school. My teacher told me that it was wrong. It has been such a long time, I cannot remember why.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's just not needed.

Where is it? It is where?
Where are you? You are where?

It makes me batty too, but I wouldn't call it slang. The same people who say "I seen it!" tend to say it.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I know how to conjugate verbs, but I would say in conversation (e.g.) "Where's the party at?"

Sure it's logically unnecessary, but I don't think it's grammatically incorrect.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ah, Dave, I have to tell you, you may as well scrape your nails down a blackboard as say that to me.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's all what you're used to. I've heard people say "Are you coming with?" and that grates.

mykwyner

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here is an old joke from the sixties:

One of the first black students at Princeton University (you may use any snobbish university here) stops an upperclassman on the campus and asks, "Excuse me, where is the library at?"

The upperclassman replies, "Young man, this is Princeton, and at Princeton we don't end our sentences with prepositions."

The young man says, "Oh, I'm sorry. Could you please tell me where the library is at, a**hole."

SSmy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Ireland
I remember when my husband asked me: What time are you finished at? It took a while for me to get it.. after two weeks he's got his answer. :lol:

I think English as a live language have to evolved. It means for me the native speaking person will make many grammer mistakes which could develop into another grammer rule :shock:
Grammer rules are not creating the language. The language is a creator of grammer rules.
Don't let yourself down because of grammer mistakes it is only a sign the language is healty. :)
Thanks everyone on this webside, it helps me to UNDERSTAND;-)
Šárka

mykwyner

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I remember when my husband asked me: What time are you finished at? It took a while for me to get it.. after two weeks he's got his answer. :lol:

I think English as a live language have to evolved. It means for me the native speaking person will make many grammer mistakes which could develop into another grammer rule :shock:
Grammer rules are not creating the language. The language is a creator of grammer rules.
Don't let yourself down because of grammer mistakes it is only a sign the language is healty. :)
Thanks everyone on this webside, it helps me to UNDERSTAND;-)
Šárka

SSmy,

You understand much better than most people. ;-)
Mike

MrPedantic

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm interested in the general dislike of this phrase. Would there be similar objections to e.g.

1. Which venue is it at?

Or, if you were to invite me to some event, and I replied,

2. Yes, where is it at?

would that be the same case?

MrP

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
It's all what you're used to. I've heard people say "Are you coming with?" and that grates.

Hi Dave,

Just out of curiosity: those people using "Are you coming with?" are of German ascent? Because it sounds like a literal translation from German ("Kommen Sie mit?), where mit (usual translation to English: "with") is a part of the verb which is placed at the end of the sentence.

Greetings,

Charliedeut

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, I believe so. "Pennsylvania Dutch" we call them. (Dutch being a corruption of Deutsch.)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm interested in the general dislike of this phrase. Would there be similar objections to e.g.

1. Which venue is it at?

Or, if you were to invite me to some event, and I replied,

2. Yes, where is it at?

would that be the same case?

MrP
I, personally, find them less objectionable, though I would probably say, 'Where is it taking place? Where is it being held?' or even, of a film, ''Where's it on?'

Status
Not open for further replies.