Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The change is sociolological/psychological as much as linguistic, but I feel that we have lost more in the area of 'language as a useful sign of relationships' than we have gained in 'language as a pretence that we are all equal'.

And yet the non-use of "thou" significantly predates any "pretence that we are all equal".

You could even say that the pronoun fell into disuse at the very time its distinctions might have seemed most useful (C17/C18: the beginnings of empire and the establishment of the "middle classes").

MrP

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
And yet the non-use of "thou" significantly predates any "pretence that we are all equal".

You could even say that the pronoun fell into disuse at the very time its distinctions might have seemed most useful (C17/C18: the beginnings of empire and the establishment of the "middle classes").

So?

Consistency isn't everything!

;-)

MrPedantic

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
When I worked in Germany in the 1960s and 1970s, the ritual(s) of moving from the equivalent of 'you' to that of 'thou', and from the equivalent of 'Mr X' to 'Jed' were important. When I returned to England in 1975, I missed the former;

Now that you mention it, I don't recall any texts in English where a "you > thou" ritual occurs (of the kind that appears in the Tolstoy passage, for instance). There isn't an equivalent of "tutoyer" in English, either.

It also seems to me that the business of suggesting that "thou" forms should be used would be exactly the kind of situation that most English people would prefer to avoid.

There is a possibility that the 2nd person singular died of embarrassment.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
In my language, in which there is a clear distinction between "tutoyering" and not, situations occur in which people cringe because they have no idea which form to use, especially nowadays, when the addressee's expectations are often impossible to guess. Some people still cultivate the tradition of Brüdershafttrinken but many do not. A young person may feel offended when addressed as "pan" or "pani" (sir, madam) but it may be the other way around too.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I find myself returning to the idea that one has to have become completely fluent in a language that retains in its grammatical structure the nuances of the 2nd person situation to understand what has been lost with its reduction in English. How can someone who has only ever spoken English understand that there are these other grades of relationship?

The matter of WHY? remains unanswered. Could the answer improbably lie in the imperialistic history of English? When you try to think about what would make English different, certainly the fact that it was the language of an empire comes to mind.

NikkiBarber

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
United States
Historically I can't think of a satisfactory reason for why "thou" disappeared. I agree with the posters who have said that the class distinction was still of great importance when the "loss" occurred. Maybe social development has nothing to do with it? I believe in equality - politically I am all the way to the left - and I still prefer to address strangers with the more polite plural pronoun. To me it is like "please," "thank you," and "yes, mam." It has nothing to do with someone's social superiority/inferiority, it is simply a matter of being polite.
In a way it is odd that we still use the plural pronoun to address strangers in Danish while we at the same time call teachers by their first names. I have no good explanation for that either, but didn't someone just say that consistency isn't everything?
If Shakespeare wasn't able to be consistent with his use of thou/you then
it seems likely that the average speaker was even more confused about the distinctions. It might just be a random accident that made "you" more popular than "thou?"

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, I LOVE the input from you various posters.

I don't know if we will be able to come to any satisfactory conclusion here.

Frankly, I have drunk enough beer tonight that I don't know if what I am about to say will even make sense, but here goes...

Could it be that the very success of English as a language of empire, or as a language "invaded" by so many influences (from Old Norse through Anglo-French to Hindi), has required that its grammar become more simple? If that were (be [ note the confusion over subjunctive]) true, it could follow that languages with less vast vocabularies and hegemonies might retain a private realm lost to the only-English speakers.

English, by that measure, might be a casualty. I am not the first to suspect that this may be the case -- as was the case with Latin.

MrPedantic

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I find myself returning to the idea that one has to have become completely fluent in a language that retains in its grammatical structure the nuances of the 2nd person situation to understand what has been lost with its reduction in English. How can someone who has only ever spoken English understand that there are these other grades of relationship?

That may be the case; but then again, other languages can be charmingly delusive, even for those who have acquired some fluency.

Even if a Russian or Italian 2nd person singular can provide an English speaker with unaccustomed nuances and pleasures, that doesn't mean that his experience corresponds to the experiences of a native Russian or Italian speaker.

Similarly, though a Russian or Italian speaker may feel a loss, when speaking English, that may simply be because they're not attuned to the ways in which English speakers compensate for the absence of the verb form.

MrP

MrPedantic

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In my language, in which there is a clear distinction between "tutoyering" and not, situations occur in which people cringe because they have no idea which form to use, especially nowadays, when the addressee's expectations are often impossible to guess. Some people still cultivate the tradition of Brüdershafttrinken but many do not. A young person may feel offended when addressed as "pan" or "pani" (sir, madam) but it may be the other way around too.

That's very interesting. My tentative speculation would be that the "tutoyer" distinction requires a certain kind of cultural structure to maintain itself.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
That's very interesting. My tentative speculation would be that the "tutoyer" distinction requires a certain kind of cultural structure to maintain itself.
The structure exists, I may have exaggerated the problems. In most situations it's obvious which form to use. Actually, I think this is what causes the trouble. We have in mind the idea that there is always the right form to use and when it happens that we don't know which one it is we feel very bad about it.

The structure is changing too. The strive for juvenility demonstrates itself in various ways, one of them being addressing other people, and expecting to be addressed, as "you".

NikkiBarber

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
United States
The structure is changing too. The strive for juvenility demonstrates itself in various ways, one of them being addressing other people, and expecting to be addressed, as "you".

That is just strange. It sounds like my extremely feminist friend who actually gets offended if a man holds a door open for her. She will start acting like he is attempting to tie her to the kitchen sink by the strings on her apron just because someone is being courteous.
Although younger people might typically use one form of "you" it shouldn't make someone feel old because they hear themselves addressed with the more polite/less familiar form.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
That is just strange. It sounds like my extremely feminist friend who actually gets offended if a man holds a door open for her. She will start acting like he is attempting to tie her to the kitchen sink by the strings on her apron just because someone is being courteous.
Although younger people might typically use one form of "you" it shouldn't make someone feel old because they hear themselves addressed with the more polite/less familiar form.
Maybe it shouldn't but it does... It's most common among ~20-year-olds who face the shock of becoming adults (and being treated like ones). But there are some people who never want to accept this sad fact that we're all aging.

Perhaps paradoxically, it is easier for some to accept being called "sir" or "madam" by people older then them. Younger people address one another as "you" so when a young person calls me "madam", I may hear, "You're not one of us anymore." (I don't. ;-))

NikkiBarber

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
United States
When you mention "madam" in that context I do remember being slightly surprised when people addressed me by the Danish equivalent, but after moving to the southern part of the U.S. I have a different attitude to that word. Here it is considered rude to answer just "yes" or "no" to most people, unless you are very familiar with them, and people almost always say "yes sir" or "yes ma'am."
You would even say "yes ma'am" to a four year old girl so that she would understand that this is the polite way of answering someone. I am all for anything that makes it easier to express your respect for the person you are talking to so I like this phenomenon.
But I admit that in a place where this is not common someone might be hurt if they didn't feel that the word was appropriate to them. I guess it depends on the situation. If someone thinks of me as a lady I am pleased, but when a man calls me "lady" in a certain way it really annoys me. It depends on the speakers intention.

MrPedantic

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The ease with which a discussion of the 2nd person singular transmutes into a discussion of cultural nuances perhaps confirms that the reason for its gradual non-use in standard English of the C17 and thereafter was also cultural (i.e. it didn't express something for which any need was felt).

Status
Not open for further replies.