• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Should we say

Todd: So, Jessica, you've got a brother called Kirk!
    Jessica: Yes, that's right. He is two and a half years older than I am, and we get along very well now.
    Todd: You get along very well now! How did you get along in the past?
    Jessica: Not very well at all actually. He was always very mean and heartless, should we say.
    Todd: What was the first thing you remember him doing to you?
    Jessica: Perhaps the first thing was the time I fell asleep on the bus when I was on kindergarten. He actually left me there sleeping, and I didn't wake up until my lunch box fell on the ground, when the bus driver was parking in the bus garage. So anyway, yeah, I learned at that point not to really depend on him so much.

In the above paragraph Jessica mentions that her brother used to be very mean and heartless to her.(The 5th line) But I didn't actually understand when he said "should we say" followed by that. What does "should we say" mean in this context? Please advise.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Should we say

Quote Originally Posted by britdam007 View Post
    Todd: So, Jessica, you've got a brother called Kirk!
    Jessica: Yes, that's right. He is two and a half years older than I am, and we get along very well now.
    Todd: You get along very well now! How did you get along in the past?
    Jessica: Not very well at all actually. He was always very mean and heartless, should we say.
    Todd: What was the first thing you remember him doing to you?
    Jessica: Perhaps the first thing was the time I fell asleep on the bus when I was on kindergarten. He actually left me there sleeping, and I didn't wake up until my lunch box fell on the ground, when the bus driver was parking in the bus garage. So anyway, yeah, I learned at that point not to really depend on him so much.

In the above paragraph Jessica mentions that her brother used to be very mean and heartless to her.(The 5th line) But I didn't actually understand when he said "should we say" followed by that. What does "should we say" mean in this context? Please advise.
    "Should we say" doesn't really make sense there.