English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Netherlands
"You shouldn't have drunk so much."

I'm having difficulty creating the meaning, context and check questions to the underlined part of this sentence. I need to explain this to an intermediate class. So far I have..

Meaning
A negative statement directed at me about a regretted action in the past. It would have been better not to have done this action. (Could I say here it's a repromand and/or remonish?)

Context
I went to the pub last night with my friends. I was only going to have one drink but I ended up having a lot more. Today I feel really sick and I can't go to work. My mum is angry with me and told me off.

Checking students' understanding (can I use the 'drink' in the concept check questions?
Did I do this in the past? (yes)
Did I have more than one drink? (yes)
Did my mum think it was a good idea to drink a lot? (no)

Form
subject+should not have+ past participle

Any advice on how to look at these areas would be great. thanks.

Richard1

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi,

1. Meaning. You can't imply that's it a regretted action from the words in question. Regret is something personal. You may or may not regret it but the person speaking can't know and he can't regret on your behalf.

It's a reprimand or an admonishment.

Regards

Mairi

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Netherlands
It's a reprimand or an admonishment.

Apologies for my bad and unchecked spelling.

Could I also say it is an implicit piece of advice? Or a summative assessment of advisory action?

Meaning
A negative statement about an action in the past; an admonishment. An implicit piece of advice; It would have been better not to have done this action. Subject disagreed with this action and this is implied in the statement.

Do you know if I am able to use 'drink' in this form in the concept questions? even though 'drank' is used in the model sentence?

Many thanks.

Last edited:

Richard1

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi,

I would say it's more like a comment than a piece of advice.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.