Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Dear all,

What is the meaning of the word "florist" in this context:

”You do such beautiful flower work, why don't you buy the florist in town?” And I turned around and bought it."

It's a bit weird for me because I can't get how anybody "buy" a florist? They didn't even said "the florist" and it's not even "folrist's"!

Thanks a lot.

ucef

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Dear all,

”You do such beautiful flower work, why don't you buy the florist in town?” And I turned around and bought it."

It's a bit weird for me because I can't get how anybody "buy" a florist? They didn't even said "the florist" and it's not even "folrist's"!

Thanks a lot.

Peace be with you, in this context the word "florist" means the place where the florist arranges and sells the flowers. In other words, "the flower shop". Good luck

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Dear all,

Thanks a lot.
Yes, it would be more correct as "florist's" meaning the "florist's shop". But 'florist' is often used this way, as in "Go to the florist and get her some flowers" (meaning go to the florist's shop).

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It should definitely be . . .buy the florist's.

We wouldn't say . . . buy the chemist/baker/newsagent/butcher when referring to their shops.

Rover

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It should definitely be . . .buy the florist's.

We wouldn't say . . . buy the chemist/baker/newsagent/butcher when referring to their shops.

Rover
Nor would be say "Go to the chemist, the baker ..." It would be "Go to the chemist's/pharmacy, the baker's/bakery, the newsagent's/newsagency, butcher's shop..."

That is why I was pointing out that 'florist' tends to be used differently, and this might have led to the confusing original sentence.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
The mean the "Why don't you buy the flowershop in town"?

it's weird because we don't know if it's for sale. (Being good in arranging flower is not a good reason to buy a flower shop!

Also, it seems as if there is only one flowershop in town.

For me, it's silly like this: "You good in cooking, why don't you buy the restaurant?"!!! "with no reference of any restaurants previously in the episode.

You got what I mean?

Thanks a lot.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Presumably, if the town is small enough, there is only enough flower business to support one shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.