Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Finnish
Home Country
Finland
Current Location
Finland
If I have something mielessä is that at my mind? Or in my mind?
If I put something mieleen is that to my mind?
If I am surullisella mielellä is that on sad mind? If I sit or drive mielellä is that on my mind?
If I take mielestä is that from my mind? Or of my mind?
What about it is opinion minun mielestä

When I am mieletön am I mindless, without mind or out of my mind?

And so on.... ? Anyone knows?

Last edited:

Richard1

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi,

You've just about stumped me there. I presumed 'mielessä' and the other variations on 'miele' are Finnish words and unfortunately since I don't know Finnish I had to look it up. It seemed to translate as 'sense' in English.
However if that's correct I'm nowhere nearer understanding the sentence(s) since they don't make sense when substituting 'sense'.;-)

I'm going to guess number 1, but can't help with the others. Can you clarify in some way.

1. You generally have something 'in mind'

Regards

FlowerFairy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Finnish
Home Country
Finland
Current Location
Finland
Hi,

You've just about stumped me there. I presumed 'mielessä' and the other variations on 'miele' are Finnish words and unfortunately since I don't know Finnish I had to look it up. It seemed to translate as 'sense' in English.
However if that's correct I'm nowhere nearer understanding the sentence(s) since they don't make sense when substituting 'sense'.;-)

I'm going to guess number 1, but can't help with the others. Can you clarify in some way.

1. You generally have something 'in mind'

Regards

Hello Richard1 :)
Basic form is actually "mieli" and it turns like mielessä, mielestä, mieleen, mielellä and so on.

I think mind is used more like mieli and sense is more like järki but I can also be wrong...

But thanks, that general rule "in my mind" helps :)

Richard1

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hello Richard1 :)
Basic form is actually "mieli" and it turns like mielessä, mielestä, mieleen, mielellä and so on.

I think mind is used more like mieli and sense is more like järki but I can also be wrong...

But thanks, that general rule "in my mind" helps :)

Hi,
I should also have added for clarity that whilst 'in my mind', or 'in mind' usually means just that you have recalled something, 'on my mind' has a quite different meaning in that it suggests that you are worrying about something, and as a consequence that something is 'on your mind' and troubling you.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.