Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
What is the difference between various and diverse? When do I use 'various' and when do I use 'diverse'?
D

azcl

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
***Not a teacher***
I think there is quite a bit of overlap between various and diverse and they can be used almost interchangeably in many contexts.

I think the word 'diverse' carries with it more of a sense of spread out and of different types. 'Various' has a more random feel to it.

For example,
"There were diverse views expressed" suggests that numbers of views were expressed and that some may have been quite polarised or significantly different.

"There were various view expressed" just tells us that not everyone held the same view, but it does not tell us anything about the distribution of views (whether they were largely similar or not).

"The various views were diverse" brings the implications of diversity (i.e. the views were quite spread out) more than "Various views" would on its own.

Ade

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the word 'diverse' carries with it more of a sense of spread out and of different types. 'Various' has a more random feel to it.

I think this is a great way to explain the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.