• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Smile obssess

I do wonder what are the differences between 'obsessed by' and 'obsessed with' .

Please explain .
    Thank you very much!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: obssess

*I am not a teacher*

Hi - the way in which I would use them is to do with what I think is called 'verbal aspect', which concerns the way in which the speaker views a process. I have heard it described as when you look at a street carnival, if you are a reporter viewing it as a whole from a helicopter, you would get a very different view from a reporter on the ground. One is viewing the carnival as a whole, the other is viewing it from inside.

"He is obsessed by dates in history" - I would use this when I am describing the person, but I am viewing this as an observer from a distance. I do not feel any particular emotional connection with it; it is just a cold fact.

"He is obsessed with facts about dinosaurs" - when I use this, I am more 'inside' the experience of the one who is obsessed. As I say it, I may visualise them as sitting with their head in a book, reading avidly, and it feels more personal, as if I am actually experiencing the obsession and identifying with it more.

I also wonder if 'obsessed by' is more likely to be used in US English?

Ade
    *Not a teacher*
    Last edited by azcl; 17-Jan-2011 at 17:47.