Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Do I have to remember all words that have silent letters to pronunciate them correctly ? Or We have a rule to grasp for easy pronunciation ?
For example, I have usually read the word "castle" with a clear tone at the "t" but I've just learned that it should be pronounced without "t" like as "casle". There are many other words with silent letter and I have to learn to pronounce each by each without a general rule for all ?
The "t" in "caster" is not a silent letter, so that's why I want a rule to know when it is a silent letter or not ?
The same to other silent letters such as "g" (sign), "b" (bomb), "p" (cupboard), "r" (iron - I've always read this with a clear tone at "r" before), "t" (whistle) ...
The easy silent letters to learn are "h"(hour) and "e" (heart), but there are some too difficult to me such as "t", "r", "s". I guess the "t" is only a silent letter in the "stle" and it will be pronounced as "sle" instead ?
Thank you so much !

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The same to other silent letters such as "g" (sign), "b" (bomb), "p" (cupboard), "r" (iron - I've always read this with a clear tone at "r" before), "t" (whistle) ...
The easy silent letters to learn are "h"(hour) and "e" (heart), but there are some too difficult to me such as "t", "r", "s". I guess the "t" is only a silent letter in the "stle" and it will be pronounced as "sle" instead ?
Thank you so much !
There are not really many rules, You simply have to learn, for example, that the letter 'g' is not pronounced in 'sign' and 'singer', but it is in 'signal' and 'finger'.
Words ending in '-mb' and '-bt' have a silent 'b', those ending in '-stle(r)' a silent 't', and those beginning in 'pn-', 'ps-' and 'pt-' a silent 'p'.
At the beginning or end of a word, 'g' is silent before 'm' and 'n'.
At the beginning of a word, 'k' is silent before 'n'.
At the end of a word, 'n' is silent after 'm'.
'w' is silent before 'r' at the beginning of a word, and in 'sword' and 'answer'.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There's an "r" is "iron" when I say it.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There's an R for me too. Irony, iron, ironic... all have an R in there.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re the /r/ in 'iron'; I believe that's true of Am English. In standard British English, there is no /r/ ( so that 'iron' and 'ion' [a charged particle] sound almost the same - I say 'almost' because some speakers maintain a distinction by pronouncing the /ɒ/ in 'ion'. Some speakers in the UK have the /r/ as a dialectal variant (the various dialects used in Scotland use it, for example).

At the end of a word, 'n' is silent after 'm'.

Recently, I've heard this applied to derivatives also (where the final 'n' is no longer final). I (and most British speakers over 30) say /'kɒlǝm/ but /'kɒlǝmnist/. Younger speakers keep the silent 'n' in both words.

b

PS Barb's post has reninded me of another thing. Like the /n/ in 'columnist', we reinstate the /r/ in 'irony', 'ironic' etc (though 'reinstate' is probably the wrong word, as the link with the metal is shrouded in the mists of philological history (if it's there at all - I haven't checked).

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Last edited:
Reactions: 5jj

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If I have to iron my dress I would say I have to i-earn my dress.

I say irony as both i-earn-ee and i-run-ee. More the latter.

Two syllables for iron, three for irony.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My dialect is probably not typical of Americans or the dictionary. But iron is one syllable where I come from.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
John Travolta nailed the Baltimore accent in Hairspray.

He/she had to "arn."

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've done some digging; the words 'iron' and 'irony' seem to be unrelated (except in the rare cases when 'irony' is used to mean 'like the metal'. This is what I got from Harper's Online Etymology Dictionary:

Word Origin & History

iron
O.E. isærn (with M.E. rhotacism of -s- ), from P.Gmc. *isarnan (cf. O.S. isarn , O.N. isarn , M.Du. iser , O.H.G. isarn , Ger. Eisen ) "holy metal" or "strong metal" (in contrast to softer bronze) probably an early borrowing of Celt. *isarnon (cf. O.Ir. iarn, Welsh haiarn ), from PIE *is-(e)ro- "powerful, holy," from PIE *eis "strong" (cf. Skt. isirah "vigorous, strong," Gk. ieros "strong"). The verb meaning "press clothes" (with a heated flat-iron) is first recorded 1670s; ironing board is from 1843.

I thought at first that their 'ieros' was a typo for 'eiros', but it's not. My Greek Dict'y tells me that there were two words - ̔̔̔ιερός (as in 'hierarchy') meaning 'sacred;/'powerful'/'excellent'..., and ̕είρων (whence 'irony') meaning 'dissembler'. I'll sleep better now. ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.