• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Please help me with a difficult sentence

Please help me with a difficult sentence
    The following sentence is from China's Graduate Entrance Exam 2011. I need native speaker's help.

But itís interesting to wonder if the images we see every week of stress-free, happiness-enhancing parenthood arenít in some small, subconscious way contributing to our own dissatisfactions with the actual experience, in the same way that a small part of us hoped getting "the Rachel" might make us look just a little bit like Jennifer Aniston.

Can somebody explain the structure and the meaning of the whole sentence, especialy the last part: in the same way that a small part of us hoped getting "the Rachel" might make us look just a little bit like Jennifer Aniston.

does this sentence leave some words out?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: Please help me with a difficult sentence

Quote Originally Posted by acer_peri View Post
    But it’s interesting to wonder if the images we see every week (of stress-free, happiness-enhancing parenthood) aren’t ( in some small, subconscious way) contributing to our own dissatisfactions with the actual experience, in the same way that a small part of us hoped getting "the Rachel" might make us look just a little bit like Jennifer Aniston.

Does this sentence leave some words out?
    No.

The writer is asking if the images of happy parenthood that we see every week (presumably in magazines, on TV, etc) may contribute to our own dissatisfaction with the reality (of parenthood).

She compares this with our own hopes that we (women) would look as beautiful as Jennifer Aston if we had our hair cut in the same style as hers.

'The Rachel' was the name given to the hair style of this actor when she played a character called Rachel in a popular US television series.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Please help me with a difficult sentence

Are all Chinese students expected to have a such a high level of English comprehension (and knowledge of American culture) that this should make sense to them? I'm shocked!
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.