Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
Hi Everyone,

There are many ~land words; however the pronunciation of ~land in different words will have different pronounciation. For instance, the ~land in Queensland has different pronunciation to Disneyland, Wonderland, I just wanted to know if there is any rule to guide us how to pronounce the ~land correctly.

EngFan

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi Everyone,

There are many ~land words; however the pronunciation of ~land in different words will have different pronounciation. For instance, the ~land in Queensland has different pronunciation to Disneyland, Wonderland, I just wanted to know if there is any rule to guide us how to pronounce the ~land correctly.

EngFan
No, actually "Queensland" is pronounced like Disneyland, and Wonderland (at least by Queenslanders, of which I'm one). /'kwi:nz,lænd/ - 'land' has its full value. (Just as 'bane' in 'Brisbane' doesn't: /brɪzbən/, by the way.)

Like Queensland are Greenland, Swaziland, Thailand ... (in AusE, at least).

On the other hand, Ireland, Scotland, Netherlands, Switzerland, Iceland, New Zealand, Poland ... have the unaccented /lənd/
One that could go either way, again in AusE accent, is Finland.

I can't think of a rule, and others would have a slightly differently list to mine.

jlinger

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Canada
And here in Canada, we have two pronunciations of Newfoundland - New-FOUND-land and NEWfun'l'n.

I suspect it's more a regional difference. I don't think anyone would look oddly at you if you said Scot-land instead of Scot-lund. The emphasis is never on that final sylable, so it just falls naturally, quietly, without much notice.

orangutan

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Russian Federation
I think (though I admit I am guessing) that it has to do with whether it is felt as a simple word or a compound of two words. Which in turn depends on whether the element before "land" can be thought of as a word in its own right.

Status
Not open for further replies.