Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,there,

I would appreciate if anyone can help me to define the following phases.

A dish of fresh spaghettis........ what does "fresh" means in here?? Is it a proper usage?

Thanks.

jlinger

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Canada
First, spaghetti is already plural (I think if there were a word for a single strand it would have to be a spaghetto, but there isn't) so don't add an "s" to it.

Spaghetti is one type (out of hundreds of varieties) of pasta.

Pasta can be either fresh or dry. Fresh is still flexible, having been made recently for use soon, whereas dry was made some time ago, dried and packaged for use far into the future.

One often refers to "fresh pasta" but I've never heard of fresh spaghetti, or fresh penne, or fresh anything except the general term, pasta.

babarosa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
First, spaghetti is already plural (I think if there were a word for a single strand it would have to be a spaghetto, but there isn't) so don't add an "s" to it.

Spaghetti is one type (out of hundreds of varieties) of pasta.

Pasta can be either fresh or dry. Fresh is still flexible, having been made recently for use soon, whereas dry was made some time ago, dried and packaged for use far into the future.

One often refers to "fresh pasta" but I've never heard of fresh spaghetti, or fresh penne, or fresh anything except the general term, pasta.

Thanks for your reply, jlinger.

janausrissen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Jlinger, thanks for sharing these considerations, very sharp and clear explained. I wish I could express myself nearly as fluently and exactly in english as you.
cheers and greetings from Germany
Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.