• Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

I wish I wouldn't/would

Hi,

this is a grammar question concerning verb tenses after 'wish'. Consider a wish referred to the present/future, this is the sentence:
    I wish I wouldn't forget his birthday or I wish I didn't forget his birthday

Which one is right? A few grammar books claim that you cannot use I wish I would meanin that wish and would mustn't share the same subject pronoun.

I know 'hope' would be better in this instance but if you have to use wish how do you continue your sentence?

Thanks in advance!
    Bye

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: I wish I wouldn't/would

♥♦♣♠ NOT A TEACHER ♥♦♣♠

Try I wish I could remember his birthday.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: I wish I wouldn't/would

Quote Originally Posted by zappy View Post
    Hi,

this is a grammar question concerning verb tenses after 'wish'. Consider a wish referred to the present/future, this is the sentence:
    I wish I wouldn't forget his birthday or I wish I didn't forget his birthday

Which one is right? A few grammar books claim that you cannot use I wish I would meanin that wish and would mustn't share the same subject pronoun.

I know 'hope' would be better in this instance but if you have to use wish how do you continue your sentence?

Thanks in advance!
    Bye
    If you must use "wish" try: "I wish not to forget his birthday". I say "if you must" because, while my suggested sentence is correct, it's an archaic form of words.