Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Apr 2010
    • Posts: 425
    #1

    regarding tenses... pls help

    Hi, dear teachers,
    1. Mozart's sister was extremely gifted at the keyboard and she had been making excellent progress.

    2. Mozart's sister was extremely gifted at the keyboard and she was making excellent progress.

    Could you tell me their differences?
    Thank you very much indeed.

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,104
    #2

    Re: regarding tenses... pls help

    Quote Originally Posted by panicmonger View Post
    Hi, dear teachers,
    1. Mozart's sister was extremely gifted at the keyboard and she had been making excellent progress.

    2. Mozart's sister was extremely gifted at the keyboard and she was making excellent progress.

    Could you tell me their differences?
    Thank you very much indeed.
    How about you have a try. I think you understand how the past perfect and the simple past continuous are normally used.

    In any event, it probably doesn't mean that her typing and data entry were improving!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Apr 2010
    • Posts: 425
    #3

    Re: regarding tenses... pls help

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    How about you have a try. I think you understand how the past perfect and the simple past continuous are normally used.

    In any event, it probably doesn't mean that her typing and data entry were improving!
    Thank you, Raymott.

    In this context, I really don't know which tense to use.

    The problem is that I don't know the order of the verbs.

    Mozart's sister had been gifted first and then made progress or she made progress first and then she became gifted or becoming gifted and making progress were at the same time in the past.

    Please advise me. Thank you.

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #4

    Re: regarding tenses... pls help

    Does it help if we add something?

    1. Mozart's sister was extremely gifted at the keyboard and she had been making excellent progress until she broke her arm in a skiing accident.

    2. Mozart's sister was extremely gifted at the keyboard and she was making excellent progress when I knew her.[/QUOTE]

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Apr 2010
    • Posts: 425
    #5

    Re: regarding tenses... pls help

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    Does it help if we add something?

    1. Mozart's sister was extremely gifted at the keyboard and she had been making excellent progress until she broke her arm in a skiing accident.

    2. Mozart's sister was extremely gifted at the keyboard and she was making excellent progress when I knew her.
    [/QUOTE]

    It has gone a long way towards my understanding of it.
    Now I have understood. Thank you.

Similar Threads

  1. pls help me out to fix my mitivation letter...pick out the mistakes n flaws pls
    By yuliya8701 in forum CVs, Resumes and Applications
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-Jun-2009, 19:44
  2. [Essay] Pls check my essay pls ...
    By pippo486 in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-Sep-2008, 01:36
  3. Sir/Ma'am Pls edit my report.pls
    By democratsrep in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-May-2008, 06:46
  4. Pls pls correct this exerpt from my Cover Letter
    By Giniper in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Apr-2008, 21:35
  5. Pls Pls Pls can you correct my paragraph?????????Many thanks.....
    By gx90t in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-Mar-2008, 21:03

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •