View Poll Results: A suitcase______is useless.

Voters
21. This poll is closed
  • a. which has no handles

7 33.33%
  • b. that has no handles

14 66.67%

"which" as the head of a restrictive clause

I recently came across a definition for "which" that said (and I paraphrase) which can be used to introduce a restrictive clause. The example provided, see below, was cited from Oxford English:

Restrictive A suitcase which has no handles is useless. (note, no commas)

Non-Restrictive A suitcase, which has no handles, is useless. (note, commas)

The argument for "which" sans commas (Restrictive use) is this: if we take away the 'which has no handles' bit, the resulting bit is nonsense:

A suitcase is useless.

My question is this, if which is used to head a restrictive clause, then what's the difference between A and B below?

A. A suitcase which has no handles is useless.
    B. A suitcase that has no handles is useless.

Uhm, is stress the key? The same person who provided the definition/examples also added that which is stressed and that that is unstressed, so speakers tend to use 'which' restrictively as a means of adding stress.

Huh?

Non-Oxford English speaka.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    In BE, which can be used in a restrictive or a non-restrictive clause, but that can only be used in a restrictive clause. To me, there's no difference between your examples a&b. The stress would be dependent on context and intended meaning, not automatic. To distinguish between which + restrive\non-restrictive clause in speech would be done by a short pause or lower stress to show it's non-essential with a non-restrictive clause.

I understand the position in AE is different and, I presume, Canadian english follows the AE pattern.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    I agree with Tdol that both example sentences mean the same thing. Thus, I choose either. :wink:

By the way, in the second example sentence from Oxford, the which clause acts as an appositive phrase.

A suitcase, which has no handles, is useless.
    The phrase defines suitcase (incorrectly, I might add). That sentence is similar in nature to:

• A chicken, which has short wings, cannot fly.

Interesting, huh?

:)

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    You're right, Ron; "A suitcase, which has no handles, is useless" is a weird sentence.

jwschang Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    In BE, which can be used in a restrictive or a non-restrictive clause, but that can only be used in a restrictive clause. To me, there's no difference between your examples a&b. The stress would be dependent on context and intended meaning, not automatic. To distinguish between which + restrive\non-restrictive clause in speech would be done by a short pause or lower stress to show it's non-essential with a non-restrictive clause.

I understand the position in AE is different and, I presume, Canadian english follows the AE pattern.
    AE, as I know it, almost always uses THAT as a relative pronoun (restrictive or otherwise). BE tends to make a distinction between the two: THAT is commonly used in a restrictive sense; WHICH is used in an informative sense. E.g.,
    (1) A suitcase that has no handles....
    (2) The hill, which rises above the surrounding country.....

jwschang Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    You're right, Ron; "A suitcase, which has no handles, is useless" is a weird sentence.
    If I may add further:
    1. THAT is usually used with the indefinite article A/An, in order to restrict or define what was originally indefinite.
    2. WHICH tends to be used with the definite article The, to add more information to something already identified.