Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
"The 1993 Treaty of Maastricht on European Union renamed the Treaty establishing the European Economic Community (EEC Treaty) to the Treaty establishing the European Community or EC Treaty."

Is "to" necessary?

Thanks!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"The 1993 Treaty of Maastricht on European Union renamed the Treaty establishing the European Economic Community (EEC Treaty) to the Treaty establishing the European Community or EC Treaty."

Is "to" necessary?

Thanks!
No, it's wrong with "renamed".

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"I renamed him Fred" is clearly correct, but to make a fair correlation to the original sentence you need to say 'I renamed Ted Fred', or - better - 'I renamed Ted "Fred"'.

I think to was used in the original sentence as the two titles are very long and to juxtapose them without separation would cause much confusion for the reader.

Rather than to, a better word would be as, or the new title could have been put into inverted commas or italics.

Rover

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"I renamed him Fred" is clearly correct, but to make a fair correlation to the original sentence you need to say 'I renamed Ted Fred', or - better - 'I renamed Ted "Fred"'.

I think to was used in the original sentence as the two titles are very long and to juxtapose them without separation would cause much confusion for the reader.

Rather than to, a better word would be as, or the new title could have been put into inverted commas or italics.

Rover
Yes, I take your point about renaming Ted "Fred". The inverted commas for the new title is a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.