• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

Rename to

"The 1993 Treaty of Maastricht on European Union renamed the Treaty establishing the European Economic Community (EEC Treaty) to the Treaty establishing the European Community or EC Treaty."

Is "to" necessary?

Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Rename to

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    "The 1993 Treaty of Maastricht on European Union renamed the Treaty establishing the European Economic Community (EEC Treaty) to the Treaty establishing the European Community or EC Treaty."

Is "to" necessary?

Thanks!
    No, it's wrong with "renamed".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    No, it's wrong with "renamed".
    Are you saying it's always wrong to use "to" with "rename"? I've gotten quite a few results for "renamed to" on Google.

Here's one: Treaty of Lisbon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (last sentence of the first paragraph)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    Are you saying it's always wrong to use "to" with "rename"? I've gotten quite a few results for "renamed to" on Google.

Here's one: Treaty of Lisbon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (last sentence of the first paragraph)
    For me it's wrong, it's completely unnecessary. "I changed his name to Fred", "I renamed him Fred".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

"I renamed him Fred" is clearly correct, but to make a fair correlation to the original sentence you need to say 'I renamed Ted Fred', or - better - 'I renamed Ted "Fred"'.

I think to was used in the original sentence as the two titles are very long and to juxtapose them without separation would cause much confusion for the reader.

Rather than to, a better word would be as, or the new title could have been put into inverted commas or italics.

Rover

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    "I renamed him Fred" is clearly correct, but to make a fair correlation to the original sentence you need to say 'I renamed Ted Fred', or - better - 'I renamed Ted "Fred"'.

I think to was used in the original sentence as the two titles are very long and to juxtapose them without separation would cause much confusion for the reader.

Rather than to, a better word would be as, or the new title could have been put into inverted commas or italics.

Rover
    Yes, I take your point about renaming Ted "Fred". The inverted commas for the new title is a good idea.