• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

choosing correct prepositions

Hello!

I seem to have run into difficulties in choosing correct prepositions. I tried using logic and Google, but the engine offered several alternatives. I'm eager to find out what prepositions should follow some phrases and have come up with some example sentences.

1) The teacher gave us some exercises on phrasal verbs (I was choosing between "on" and "in")
    2) ...a non-smoker, outgoing, independent, family-oriented, with a steady job.. She's got way too high requirements for men! (I've also seen 'to')
    3) At school, I did well at chemistry (I thought it's analogous to 'be good at')

I'd be very grateful for help.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: choosing correct prepositions

Quote Originally Posted by Verona_82 View Post
    Hello!

I seem to have run into difficulties in choosing correct prepositions. I tried using logic and Google, but the engine offered several alternatives. I'm eager to find out what prepositions should follow some phrases and have come up with some example sentences.

1) The teacher gave us some exercises on phrasal verbs (I was choosing between "on" and "in")
    2) ...a non-smoker, outgoing, independent, family-oriented, with a steady job.. She's got way too high requirements for men! (I've also seen 'to')
    3) At school, I did well at chemistry (I thought it's analogous to 'be good at')

I'd be very grateful for help.
    Your choices are fine. #3 could also use "in".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Verona_82 View Post
    I seem to have run into difficulties in choosing correct prepositions. I tried using logic and Google, but the engine offered several alternatives.
    Welcome to our world, Verona. I am afraid that 'logic' and 'How to use prepositions in English' are not terms that co-exist happily.
    I'm eager to find out what prepositions should follow some phrases and have come up with some example sentences.

1) The teacher gave us some exercises on phrasal verbs (I was choosing between "on" and "in") I would settle for 'on'.

2) ...a non-smoker, outgoing, independent, family-oriented, with a steady job.. She's got way too high requirements for men! (I've also seen 'to') 'For' - yes; 'on' - no, in my opinion. The message is that men think that mere women have no right to be (a) so well qualified, and (b) have the right, to have high expectations of men,

3) At school, I did well at chemistry (I thought it's analogous to 'be good at'). 'At' is fine. Many people are also happy with 'in'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Thank you for your replies!!

Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    Welcome to our world, Verona. I am afraid that 'logic' and 'How to use prepositions in English' are not terms that co-exist happily.
    Well... when overseas students struggle with Russian, we feel we're taking revenge on the English grammar

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Hi,

Both teachers said that "on" was right in the first sentence. I feel "in" is good too. Am I wrong?