Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello!

I seem to have run into difficulties in choosing correct prepositions. I tried using logic and Google, but the engine offered several alternatives. I'm eager to find out what prepositions should follow some phrases and have come up with some example sentences.

1) The teacher gave us some exercises on phrasal verbs (I was choosing between "on" and "in")
2) ...a non-smoker, outgoing, independent, family-oriented, with a steady job.. She's got way too high requirements for men! (I've also seen 'to')
3) At school, I did well at chemistry (I thought it's analogous to 'be good at')

I'd be very grateful for help.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello!

I seem to have run into difficulties in choosing correct prepositions. I tried using logic and Google, but the engine offered several alternatives. I'm eager to find out what prepositions should follow some phrases and have come up with some example sentences.

1) The teacher gave us some exercises on phrasal verbs (I was choosing between "on" and "in")
2) ...a non-smoker, outgoing, independent, family-oriented, with a steady job.. She's got way too high requirements for men! (I've also seen 'to')
3) At school, I did well at chemistry (I thought it's analogous to 'be good at')

I'd be very grateful for help.

Your choices are fine. #3 could also use "in".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I seem to have run into difficulties in choosing correct prepositions. I tried using logic and Google, but the engine offered several alternatives.
Welcome to our world, Verona. I am afraid that 'logic' and 'How to use prepositions in English' are not terms that co-exist happily.
I'm eager to find out what prepositions should follow some phrases and have come up with some example sentences.

1) The teacher gave us some exercises on phrasal verbs (I was choosing between "on" and "in") I would settle for 'on'.

2) ...a non-smoker, outgoing, independent, family-oriented, with a steady job.. She's got way too high requirements for men! (I've also seen 'to') 'For' - yes; 'on' - no, in my opinion. The message is that men think that mere women have no right to be (a) so well qualified, and (b) have the right, to have high expectations of men,

3) At school, I did well at chemistry (I thought it's analogous to 'be good at'). 'At' is fine. Many people are also happy with 'in'.

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you for your replies!!

Welcome to our world, Verona. I am afraid that 'logic' and 'How to use prepositions in English' are not terms that co-exist happily.

Well... when overseas students struggle with Russian, we feel we're taking revenge on the English grammar :-D

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi,

Both teachers said that "on" was right in the first sentence. I feel "in" is good too. Am I wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.