Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
I remember someone on this forum telling me that "on the market" is wrong unless one is talking about selling something. So, "the house is on the market" would be correct, but "the company operates on the American market" would be wrong. I am not convinced this is true, though.

I've often come across "on the market" outside the "sale" context. Here's an excerpt from a judgment of the European Court of Justice, a reliable source one would think:

113. A decision like the FIFA Players’ Agents Regulations may, where it is implemented, result in the undertakings operating on the market in question, namely the clubs, being so linked as to their conduct on a particular market that they present themselves on that market as a collective entity vis-à-vis their competitors, their trading partners and consumers ( Compagnie maritime belge transports and Others v Commission , paragraph 44).

EUR-Lex - 62002A0193 - EN

If you continue reading the judgment, you'll see that "on the market" is repeated many times, so "on" cannot be a typo.

I just thought I'd let you know that.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I remember someone on this forum telling me that "on the market" is wrong unless one is talking about selling something. So, "the house is on the market" would be correct, but "the company operates on the American market" would be wrong. I am not convinced this is true, though.

I've often come across "on the market" outside the "sale" context. Here's an excerpt from a judgment of the European Court of Justice, a reliable source one would think:

113. A decision like the FIFA Players’ Agents Regulations may, where it is implemented, result in the undertakings operating on the market in question, namely the clubs, being so linked as to their conduct on a particular market that they present themselves on that market as a collective entity vis-à-vis their competitors, their trading partners and consumers ( Compagnie maritime belge transports and Others v Commission , paragraph 44).

If you continue reading the decision, you'll see that "on the market" is repeated many times, so "on" cannot be a typo.

I think all those "ons" should be "ins".;-)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

If you continue reading the judgment, you'll see that "on the market" is repeated many times, so "on" cannot be a typo.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Jasmin,

(1) Thank you for sharing this information with us.

(2) I, too, agree that for many of us, "in the market[place]"

seems quite "normal."

(3) I took this sentence from that court decision:

dominant position on the market for ....

I then went to Google (of course) and typed in "Dominant

position on the market."

Many results came up -- some with on; some with in.

Many of the results came from reputable sources, such

as the courts or governmental agencies.

It is only my guess that Americans would prefer "in."

Those two prepositions do give us many problems. In fact,

I read that one of them (I forgot which one) is gradually pushing the

other one out of the way!!! A famous grammarian once reminded us

that prepositions really have nothing to do with grammar. It is simply

a matter of idiom. That is, what the majority of speakers have

decided should be used in a particular case. That's why we in

California say, "Stand in line," while New Yorkers "stand on line."

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Status