Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hello, I've got a doubt about English language.
I've made a news programme with my students. I've recorded them making interviews to other students who simulate that they are famous football players, or singers, etc...
There's an anchorman of the programme who connects from the studio to the place where a reporter is making an interview or giving a new.
The anchorman, everytime that he refers to the reporter says: "Let's connect with our agent Mar . She's going to interview an important person...Mar...who are you with?".
The programme is already recorded and renderized, so I cannot change the word agent for journalist or reporter.
My question is: Does it make any sense to say agent instead of reporter or journalist in that context? Is that a big mistake? Does it exist the word agent as a synonime of reporter or journalist?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In local news in the US, they would say something like "we now go to Jane Harwood, at the courthouse" or maybe "...our Jane Harwood..."

The reporter on site "throws it back" by saying something like "Back to the studio" or "back to you."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Does it make any sense to say agent instead of reporter or journalist in that context? Is that a big mistake?
I think that sympathy for your position may have been a reason for the previous two members not directly answering your question.

Native speakers would not use 'agent'. The word is not a synonym for 'reporter' or 'journalist'. Sorry.

It is not a big mistake, but it is certainly not natural English.

Status
Not open for further replies.