Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How does the principle of parallel structure inform the usage of a semicolon construction? Do both sides of the semicolon need to have the same construction? For example, can one use a simple sentence on one side of the semicolon and a compound sentence on the other?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You posted this question at 17.56. Please don't clog up the system with multiple postings.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
How does the principle of parallel structure inform the usage of a semicolon construction? Do both sides of the semicolon need to have the same construction? no
For example, can one use a simple sentence on one side of the semicolon and a compound sentence on the other? Yes you can. But those are components, not sentences, when they are separated by a semicolon. The whole thing is a sentence.
But I know what you mean.

Sara will leave on Tuesday; I will leave on Wednesday, and the others will leave on Thursday or Friday. :tick:

But if the components on either side of the semicolon are too complicated, it would probably be better to have two sentences.

/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Jennifer Nevsky

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not sure I understand components, a term you used in your explanation. Could you explain, please?

jlinger

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Canada
components = parts, sections, phrases, elements
Each side of the semicolon is one component. And a component may be further divided into sub-components.

See - English is just as easy as splitting the atom!

Status
Not open for further replies.