Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is it possible to say like this?

His income was small, but she would marry him.
According to what I learned here, would is tenseless, so this would just means "a past habitual action" in the context. For your willingness in the past, only the below can makes sense, I guess.

"She said she would marry him."= She said "I will marry him".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
According to what I learned here, would is tenseless, so this would just means "a past habitual action" in the context.
It is unlikely to be a past habitual action with the verb 'marry'.

Your sentence can have at least two meanings, suggested in the rough paraphrases below:

1. ... she insisted on marrying him.
2. ... (as we know from history,) she did marry him at some later time past time.

smusca

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Italy
Is it possible to say like this?

According to what I learned here, would is tenseless, so this would just means "a past habitual action" in the context. For your willingness in the past, only the below can makes sense, I guess.

I think it could be seen as a second conditional,
She would marry him ( if he asked her and even if he wasn't rich)

azcl

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
***Not a teacher***

Hello Keannu,

I don't think this would be how a native speaker would express what I think you wish to say here. I think they would be more likely to say something like:

"Despite his small income, she was still willing to marry him"

As noted in a different post yesterday, this type of construction could be used to express a historical perspective or a narrative perspective from 'her' point of view (see https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/139503-settle-them-she-would.html), but I don't think that is what you are trying to do here.

Yes, but a bit of clarity is needed...
If I was watching him propose to her, and she said 'yes, I will marry you', I might report that to someone else as 'She said she would marry him' (as in your example above).

If I was talking to her, and it was not in the context of being proposed to, but she just made the statment 'I am going to marry him', then I may report this as 'She said she will marry him' or 'She said she is going to marry him'.

I think this is because in the first instance, there is a degree of contingency (it is in the context of a request and reply), whereas in the second instance, it is an absolute statement and such, is a definite statement.

so this would just means "a past habitual action" in the context
.....'would' can indicate a past habitual action, and this can normally be inferred from the context as you suggest:
'When I was a boy, I would play football at the park every weekend with my dad'
- obviously, in the example you gave, this cannot be the case as we would assume that she was not habitually marrying him :)

Ade

Status
Not open for further replies.