luggage-christmas-gift

Hi!1
    How are you?
    I'm reading a book called "Bridget Jones's Diary" (the one that the film is based on) and I have some problems with somme words I cant figure out the meaning. this is the one I most want to know the meaning:
    luggage-christmas-gift
    Context:
    I held the phone away from my ear, puzzling about where missionary luggage-christmas-gift zeal stemmed from.
    Could you explain it to me the meaning or give a synonim?

thankyou so much

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: luggage-christmas-gift

A very good question! I will try to explain it...

"I held the phone away from my ear, puzzling about where missionary luggage-christmas-gift zeal stemmed from."

Missionary Zeal = A "Missionary" is a religious person who tells other people about their religion. "Zeal" is 'a lot of enthusiasm,' or 'a lot of excitment,' a lot of happiness.

Since missionaries are very excited about their religion, they can work very hard to tell other people how good their religion is, etc.

You can describe anyone as a missionary if they are very excited about telling a lot of other people about... anything.

Tom: "David, you have to listen to this music by Gwen Stefani! She is fantastic! Her music is the best in the world! I am telling EVERYONE about how good she is!"

David: "Um, when did you become a missionary for Gwen Stefani?"
    (You are as excited about her as a religious missionary is about God.)

Bridget does not know why her mother is so excited about luggage for Christmas. So she is almost making a joke about why her mother has become a missionary for.. luggage as a Christmas present? Why is her mother as excited about luggage as a real missionary is about God?

Does that help?

PS - Gwen Stefani's music IS the best in the world.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

One more word:

Be careful with Bridget Jones's Diary... it is a wonderful book, and is very funny... but 'Bridget' writes and speaks in a very... clipped manner. She leaves off a lot of words that are supposed to be there. It is a very British style, and it sounds charming.

For example, the above paragraph might be:

"Careful with Jones's Diary... wonderful book, funny... but Bridget writes very... clipped. Leaves off words, etc. Very British, very charming."

To an English-speaker it is very easy to understand, and if you imitate her speech you will sound lovely and charming and very British, as long as you remember that there are a lot of missing words.

How can Ii thank you this??????
    YOu are god
    Thank you very much!!!!!