Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I wonder if there is subtle difference between "1" and "2".
1. It is nice to meet you.
2. It is nice meeting you.

azcl

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
***Not a teacher***

In my opinion, the second one with its use of 'meeting you' draws attention to the process of meeting someone (which could include the initial introduction, opening conversation, sitting and having coffee etc). The first with its use of 'nice to meet you' does not draw attention to the process, but is a simple statement that the fact that you have met someone and it is nice.

Therefore, at the instant when you are first introduced to somebody, the first would be most appropriate. By using 'meeting you', the second one is drawing attention to the process of meeting the person, and is thus not so appropriate at the moment when you are first introduced.

Once there has been some duration to the meeting (which could potentially be as little as a couple of sentences, or could include much more than this), either would be appropriate, but the second one will still be bringing emphasis to the process.

Similarly when you are then saying goodbye to the person you have just met:
"It was nice to meet you" - statement about the fact of having met them
"It was nice meeting you" - 'I have enjoyed the conversation and coffee with you' - statement more about the duration of the meeting process.

Ade

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia

Hi wowenglish1.
It is more likely that example 2 would in fact be "It was nice meeting you". Then the difference is more in the timing than anything else.
It is more usual to say "It is nice to meet you" as you are introduced to the person. Then, as you are parting company at the end of the meeting, dinner or whatever, you might say "Goodbye, it was nice meeting you".

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Sorry azcl, I've pretty much duplicated your response, which wasn't posted when I started writing mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.