[Grammar] I saw the car began to swerve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiuJing

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I was taught to say: I saw the car begin (or beginning) to swerve .

However, is 'I saw the car began to swerve' also correct English, if someone argues 'saw' is followed by an object clause?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The "began" is that sentence is incorrect. It could be the result of a typing mistake or an error in grammar.

EDIT: Thanks Bob!

Last edited:
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
What about 'I saw him cross the road' and 'I saw him crossing the road'? You could also say:
I saw that he crossed the road.
If a 'that construction' is possible with 'see', the second sentence should also be considered correct. It makes perfect sense.

LiuJing

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What about 'I saw him cross the road' and 'I saw him crossing the road'? You could also say:
If a 'that construction' is possible with 'see', the second sentence should also be considered correct. It makes perfect sense.

No. I don't think native speakers approve the sentence structure saw + that clause.

That said, however, I did hear people say: I don't see that will happen.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If a 'that construction' is possible with 'see', It is the second sentence should also be considered correct. It makes perfect sense.
Whose second sentence? There's no 'that' in LiuJing's. I saw him began to swerve is just wrong.

'I saw that he began to swerve' is grammatically correct, but most unlikely in reality. 'I saw that he was beginning to swerve' would be more likely, although most swerves last only a split second (so that once you begin to swerve you swerve!), so it would sound better with a different verb: 'I saw that he was beginning to deviate', for example. 'I saw that he had begun to swerve' is also possible, but unlikely for the same reason - the impermanence of swerving! ;-)

b

LiuJing

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Whose second sentence? There's no 'that' in LiuJing's. I saw him began to swerve is just wrong.

'I saw that he began to swerve' is grammatically correct, but most unlikely in reality. 'I saw that he was beginning to swerve' would be more likely, although most swerves last only a split second (so that once you begin to swerve you swerve!), so it would sound better with a different verb: 'I saw that he was beginning to deviate', for example. 'I saw that he had begun to swerve' is also possible, but unlikely for the same reason - the impermanence of swerving! ;-)

b

Can we omit 'that' to make it like: I saw he (his car) was beginning to swerve?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. I don't think native speakers approve the sentence structure saw + that clause.

That said, however, I did hear people say: I don't see that will happen.

As I said in my last post, saw + that clause. is fine.

But even if it wasn't, your example wouldn't disprove it, as the 'that' is a pronoun and not a conjunction. You might also hear 'I don't see that that will happen.' There, the first 'that' is a conjunction, and it's almost always pronounced with a /ə/ sound. The exception would be when there is contrastive stress, as in: 'I didn't say that [pronounced /ðæt/] that would never happen, I just said I doubted whether it would' - not very likely, as you'd be more likely to hear 'I didn't say it definitely wouldn't happen' or something of the kind. But it shows what I mean by 'contrastive stress'.

b

PS In answer to your last, yes you could. 'I saw he was beginning to swerve' is fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.