big break? = big success or just a breakthrough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
[FONT=&#44404]..from Glee club(American drama)[/FONT]​
[FONT=&#44404][/FONT]​
[FONT=&#44404]"And while all of you have been
So concerned with your appearance in this school,
I've landed glee club its first big break.[/FONT]​
[FONT=&#44404] [/FONT][FONT=&#44404]Simply put,Making us all celebrities."
[/FONT]​
[FONT=&#44404]The glee club glee will appear in a tv commercial, so this is the line of the leader so thrilled to announce their first appearance as they have been always so-called persecuted by others without acknowledgement from others.[/FONT]​
[FONT=&#44404][/FONT]
[FONT=&#44404]When you say "big break", does it mean just a big breakthrough or a big success? I've used "big break" as a meaning of making success in any area. [/FONT]
[FONT=&#44404]For example "Obama made a big break(big success) as a politician" I wonder if I can use big break to replace big success as success is a plain and ordinary word.

[/FONT]

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
[FONT=&#44404]..from Glee club(American drama)[/FONT]
[FONT=&#44404]"And while all of you have been
So concerned with your appearance in this school,
I've landed glee club its first big break.[/FONT]
[FONT=&#44404]Simply put,Making us all celebrities."
[/FONT]
[FONT=&#44404]The glee club glee will appear in a tv commercial, so this is the line of the leader so thrilled to announce their first appearance as they have been always so-called persecuted by others without acknowledgement from others.[/FONT]​

[FONT=&#44404]When you say "big break", does it mean just a big breakthrough or a big success? I've used "big break" as a meaning of making success in any area. [/FONT]
[FONT=&#44404]For example "Obama made a big break(big success) as a politician" I wonder if I can use big break to replace big success as success is a plain and ordinary word.

[/FONT]
"A big break" doesn't mean a breakthrough. Obama made a breakthrough not a break, a break is a chance or an opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.