[General] Preparing for "English as a foreign language" test?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikkiBarber

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
United States
I want to take classes at the university where I work but I was told that I first need to take a test called English as a foreign language. I have searched online and so far I have found several tests that fit the description I was given but none of them have the exact same name as the one mentioned by my university. If anyone can tell me the real name for this test and what it is about I would really appreciate it.
I would also like to hear any tips on how to prepare for it and how much time I need to set aside to study.
I am slightly dyslexic and even though it only affects my spelling I am worried that it might cause me to fail a test like this.
All the written exams I have ever taken for English have been with dictionaries available, so my score will probably be dramatically different without any help.
Also, can it really be true that I need to take this test to be allowed to take classes but not to teach at the same institution?
Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
That's probably what they meant. I haven't taken it, so I can't help you with preparation but I know it's very popular.

I have read a pretty good number of your posts and I don't remember any spelling mistakes... Anyway, I guess you can ask them to extend your testing time (TOEFL: Paper-based Test: Test Takers with Disabilities).

NikkiBarber

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
United States
Thank you. That seems to be the right test and I think I have heard of it before. As far as spelling goes, automatic spell check is my savior. I mostly just mix up certain letters but by reading a lot I have gotten better at recognizing the way the words are supposed to look. Still, I hate writing on the board when I teach because I don't really have time to be careful.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I hate writing on the board when I teach because I don't really have time to be careful.
You can't prepare for everything you are going to have to write on the board, but if you know that you are going to write certain things, prepare your 'board' in advance on a piece of paper or thin card. You can then look up anything you are unsure about in advance. You'll just need to copy it on to the board then, correctly.
This pre-planning also helps with board layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.