Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
[FONT=&quot]Hello,

Management makes evaluations, grants salary increases, and promotes individuals based on what it receives

Does "based" refer to "management" here? Is it (the participle "based") an attribute, an adverbial modifier or part of a predicate? I think it's an adverbial modifier, but I'm not sure.

Best

[/FONT]

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
[FONT=&quot]Hello,

Management makes evaluations, grants salary increases, and promotes individuals based on what it receives

Does "based" refer to "management" here? Is it (the participle "based") an attribute, an adverbial modifier or part of a predicate? I think it's an adverbial modifier, but I'm not sure.

Best

[/FONT]
I also think it's an adverbial. I think if "based on" weren't a fixed expression, we could use "basing on" there. Or maybe we can anyway? I'm not sure.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
You can regard it either as an adjective, or as a past participle with a passive meaning. In either case, the making of evaluations, granting of salary increases and promotion of individuals are based on whatever it is that management receives.

If you used 'basing' (active), you would have to say 'basing its decisions on what it receives'. It would then be management which is basing its decisions on whatever it is that it receives.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I dont see this. Are you saying that "based" can be considered an adjective modifying the finite verb "promotes"?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I dont see this. Are you saying that "based" can be considered an adjective modifying the finite verb "promotes"?
No.

We can consider that the adjective qualifies either the evaluations, salary increases and promotions, or the making of evaluations, granting of salary increases and promotion of individuals.

That the word I have underlined are not actually used suggests that, to a purist, the sentence should ideally be recast. One suggestion would be:
[FONT=&quot]
Management makes evaluations, grants salary increases, and promotes individuals, these decisions being based on what it receives
[/FONT].

The sentence is poorly constructed anyway; we don't know what is referred to in 'what it receives'

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
No.

We can consider that the adjective qualifies either the evaluations, salary increases and promotions, or the making of evaluations, granting of salary increases and promotion of individuals.

That the word I have underlined are not actually used suggests that, to a purist, the sentence should ideally be recast.
But such sentences are used... I doesn't seem very logical to me either but isn't it just a fixed expression?

I was unable to find much help on the web but here's something I found:
adverb « Copyediting Blog

Reactions: 5jj

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But such sentences are used... I doesn't seem very logical to me either but isn't it just a fixed expression?

I was unable to find much help on the web but here's something I found:
adverb « Copyediting Blog
You could be right. Thanks for the link.

I have to say that I saw nothing wrong with the sentence (other than the what it receives) when I first read it. Indeed, I still don't, really.

Perhaps my recasting for the purist was based on ;-) a failure to recognise that this expression can be used adverbially.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thanks for the conytributions, but I still can't figure out whether "based" is an attribute, part of a predicate or an adverbial modifier. I incline to the latter, but the more I read opinions, the more I doubt.

Best

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thanks for the contributions, but I still can't figure out whether "based" is an attribute, part of a predicate or an adverbial modifier. I incline to the latter, but the more I read opinions, the more I doubt.
Is the label that important?

It's is often difficult to decide how a word like 'tired' or 'bored' or, in this case 'based', should be labelled.

Is 'I am bored' an example of a present tense passive construction of the verb BORE, or is it a present tense construction of the verb BE followed by the adjective bored? Does it matter?

Don't forget that adjectives and past participles and adverbial modifiers do not exist in real life - they are simply labels that we apply to words to help us understand how people use these words.

The only important question for learners, I feel, is whether or not based on can be used adverbially. BC's link suggests that some people are using it in this way, a suggestion reinforced for me when I took a quick look at a couple of corpora. I suspect that this is one of those cases where some people will feel strongly that this is 'incorrect', others that it is now acceptable.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Is the label that important?

It's is often difficult to decide how a word like 'tired' or 'bored' or, in this case 'based', should be labelled.

Is 'I am bored' an example of a present tense passive construction of the verb BORE, or is it a present tense construction of the verb BE followed by the adjective bored? Does it matter?

Don't forget that adjectives and past participles and adverbial modifiers do not exist in real life - they are simply labels that we apply to words to help us understand how people use these words.

The only important question for learners, I feel, is whether or not based on can be used adverbially. BC's link suggests that some people are using it in this way, a suggestion reinforced for me when I took a quick look at a couple of corpora. I suspect that this is one of those cases where some people will feel strongly that this is 'incorrect', others that it is now acceptable.

Dear friend!!!

Yes, the label is very important for me now, because I'm studying (rather revising) participles and their function in sentences. I'd like to ask you just to leave your opinion, your assumption about whether "based" is an attribute, adverbal modifier or part of a predicate. I need this to understand the construction better.

Thanks

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes, the label is very important for me now, because I'm studying (rather revising) participles and their function in sentences. I'd like to ask you just to leave your opinion, your assumption about whether "based" is an attribute, adverbal modifier or part of a predicate. I need this to understand the construction better.
As my American colleagues might say, "I refuse to answer on the grounds that it might incriminate me", or words to that effect.

I am not being perverse, but the answer I gave in my last post gives my opinion. Others may come and give you what you need. I am sorry, but I can't.

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I have some similar sentences and could you please compare them to the uses of "base" above:
1. The cat lying there is mine.
2. The cat which is lying there, is mine.
3. The book written by Johns is what I want to buy.
4. The book that is written by Johns is what I want to buy.
The use with ing form of the verb is to modify the subject which does the action (active form, the verb to modify the subject can be intransitive or transitive). The use with past participle is to modify the subject which the action expressed by the past participle impacts (passive form, the verb to modify the subject should only be transitive). We also can use relative pronouns instead. I think all ways can express the same meaning.
Could you please give me some comment?
Thank you so much!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have some similar sentences and could you please compare them to the uses of "base" above:
I think, in fairness to milan, you ought to delete that and start a new thread. I am sure that some people will have points on 'based' to add to this thread.

ps - if you delete/move your post, I'll delete this and join you in a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.