giddyman

Member Type
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Suppose that I can't speak because of some reason.

When someone asks me, "Can't you speak?"
should I nod my head or shake my head?

allenman

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you appeared distressed, the person asking would ask "Can you speak?" instead of using the negative.
In that case, you would shake your head no.
Not a teacher

giddyman

Member Type
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you for your kind answer, allenman.
But I want to know when asked with negative questions.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I would shake my head for 'no'.

Rover

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It makes no difference whether the question is affirmative or negative. We always answer as if the question were affirmative.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would shake my head for 'no'.

Rover

:up: Me too. Some languages apply a yes/no response to the content of the question, and some apply a yes/no response to the truth value of the question. This makes for difficulties between a speaker of British English, and someone from, say, Japan. The polite (or at least uncontroversial) response to 'Don't you think?' is 'No'.

The case is further confused by some cultures who use a shake of the head to mean 'Yes' (Bulgarians, for example).

(Even between two English speakers, though, there is room for confusion. Last Christmas I asked my daughter 'Don't you want some tea?'. assuming she did. She answered 'Yes', and then looked at me like a madman when I brought her some.)

b

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
(Even between two English speakers, though, there is room for confusion. Last Christmas I asked my daughter 'Don't you want some tea?'. assuming she did. She answered 'Yes', and then looked at me like a madman when I brought her some.)
My daughter has done the same, but then my daughter enjoys being deliberately perverse at times. I think you'd agree, Bob, that most native speakers would have said 'no' in that situation?

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Same in Polish... Whereas the preference is for "no" in such situations, "yes" is possible too. We often say, "Yes, you do or yes, you don't?" after getting our resopnse. I think I've heard it in English too.

Status
Not open for further replies.