Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. milan2003_07's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 519
    #1

    stakeout, in-field

    Hello,

    The other day while surfing the Internet I came across a site which contains information about controllers. I'm interested in technologies and therefore decided to read what was written there. While reading I found several words and expressions that are unclear to me. Let me please ask you about them:

    1) The heading on one of the pages was "Controllers and field software". What might "field" mean in this short context? Does it mean the software that can be used in fields (for example by land-surveyors and/pr topographers)?

    2) "Accelerate data collection, stakeout and in-field data analysis with proven Trimble solutions"

    "Trimble" is the make of these controllers under study. What is "stakeout" here? Does it mean the time required for data collection? What does "in-field" mean? I haven't found this word in any dictionary of mine and all Internet sources of information also obscure the meaning of this strange word.

    Thanks

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,307
    #2

    Re: stakeout, in-field

    The "field" is where things like controllers are installed. As opposed to working on equipment in a lab or in your office.

    Field software would be software that the field engineer or technician could use to diagnose and monitor equipment in the field.

    "In-field" data analysis refers to analysis that is capable of being done in the field. You do not have to collect data blindly and then send it to someone in a different area who has different software in order to analyse it.

    I don't know what they mean by "stakeout." They may mean their products reduce the amount of time you have to spend in the field trying to resolve a problem.

  2. milan2003_07's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 519
    #3

    Re: stakeout, in-field

    Thanks for your great help!!! I just wanted to make sure that "field" here has the traditional meaning inherent in this word. The same field where flowers and vegetables can grow and many insects fly?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,307
    #4

    Re: stakeout, in-field

    No, it doesn't mean where flowers and birds are. It means as part of machinery or equipment installed in factories or refineries, etc. I guess you could be out in a literal field, but that's not how it is usually meant.

    Field contrasts with the lab or the office.

  3. milan2003_07's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 519
    #5

    Re: stakeout, in-field

    So it is close to "on the spot"? In other words, "working in the fileld" mean working where some device or machinery has been installed rather than at a factory or plant where it has been made? Do you mean this? Really difficult to understand, sorry.

    In your second post there is a phrase

    ""In-field" data analysis refers to analysis that is capable of being done in the field."

    Saying "in the field" do you mean here "somewhere where the machinery or some equipment is installed and used rather than where it was made"?

    Best

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2005
    • Posts: 1,198
    #6

    Re: stakeout, in-field

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    The "field" is where things like controllers are installed. As opposed to working on equipment in a lab or in your office.

    Field software would be software that the field engineer or technician could use to diagnose and monitor equipment in the field.

    "In-field" data analysis refers to analysis that is capable of being done in the field. You do not have to collect data blindly and then send it to someone in a different area who has different software in order to analyse it.

    I don't know what they mean by "stakeout." They may mean their products reduce the amount of time you have to spend in the field trying to resolve a problem.
    Doesn´t stakeout mean collect data secretly such as the way the police do when watching a building secretly

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,307
    #7

    Re: stakeout, in-field

    Quote Originally Posted by milan2003_07 View Post
    So it is close to "on the spot"? In other words, "working in the fileld" mean working where some device or machinery has been installed rather than at a factory or plant where it has been made? Do you mean this? Really difficult to understand, sorry.

    In your second post there is a phrase

    ""In-field" data analysis refers to analysis that is capable of being done in the field."

    Saying "in the field" do you mean here "somewhere where the machinery or some equipment is installed and used rather than where it was made"?

    Best
    Yes and yes. The field is where equipment is installed.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,307
    #8

    Re: stakeout, in-field

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim View Post
    Doesn´t stakeout mean collect data secretly such as the way the police do when watching a building secretly
    Yes. It also has a sense of waiting for something to happen. If you have trouble with some machinery, sometimes you have to get all set up to collect data and then wait for the event to happen again. Perhaps that is what they mean by "stake out."

  4. milan2003_07's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 519
    #9

    Re: stakeout, in-field

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    Yes. It also has a sense of waiting for something to happen. If you have trouble with some machinery, sometimes you have to get all set up to collect data and then wait for the event to happen again. Perhaps that is what they mean by "stake out."
    2) "Accelerate data collection, stakeout and in-field data analysis with proven Trimble solutions"

    So they offer to accelerate (expedite, quicken) data collection and data analysis in the field (on the spot, without transmitting data to a place where they will be processed independently). When they say that they accelerate stakeout, do they mean they reduce the amount of time between the moment when the machinery has suddenly broken and when it starts working again after being fixed/adjusted?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,307
    #10

    Re: stakeout, in-field

    Quote Originally Posted by milan2003_07 View Post
    2) "Accelerate data collection, stakeout and in-field data analysis with proven Trimble solutions"

    So they offer to accelerate (expedite, quicken) data collection and data analysis in the field (on the spot, without transmitting data to a place where they will be processed independently). When they say that they accelerate stakeout, do they mean they reduce the amount of time between the moment when the machinery has suddenly broken and when it starts working again after being fixed/adjusted?
    That is my guess, but it is only a guess. They may mean something else by "stakeout" in that ares (surveying) that I don't know.

Similar Threads

  1. Further down the field
    By njt2009 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15-Dec-2009, 10:25
  2. Field
    By Fame in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-Jul-2009, 02:09
  3. in/on the field
    By Tan Elaine in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Feb-2009, 00:56
  4. from the field?
    By sky753 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Nov-2008, 16:54
  5. new to field
    By behach in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-May-2007, 09:12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •