Hello teachersWhat are differences betweewn point at and point to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello teachers

What are differences betweewn point at and point to?

Thank you!:)

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
What are differences between point at and point to?

Hi Harry. A lot of the time you can use either phrase interchangeably: "He pointed to the tree and asked what it was called". But "pointed at" would also be fine here.
However, "point at" can sometimes suggest a more direct, and perhaps aggressive, action. For example: "He pointed at me and laughed out loud". Or, "If I wear this silly hat people will point at me in the street".
Another difference is that you can "point to" something in speech without actually pointing a finger. For example: "In my report tomorrow I want to point to the improvement in our sales by reading out some statistics". In this case "point at" is not appropriate.

Harry12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What are differences between point at and point to?

Hi Harry. A lot of the time you can use either phrase interchangeably: "He pointed to the tree and asked what it was called". But "pointed at" would also be fine here.
However, "point at" can sometimes suggest a more direct, and perhaps aggressive, action. For example: "He pointed at me and laughed out loud". Or, "If I wear this silly hat people will point at me in the street".
Another difference is that you can "point to" something in speech without actually pointing a finger. For example: "In my report tomorrow I want to point to the improvement in our sales by reading out some statistics". In this case "point at" is not appropriate.

Murray teacher, Thank you!:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.