Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
Is there anyone working in journalism?
If so, could you tell me the differences between 'journalist' and 'reporter'?

Do you have the same interest to know it?
Thank you

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Thank you

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Panicmonger,

When you have time, please google:

"Roy Greenslade The difference between reporting and

journalism."

Mr. Greenslade writes for England's famous Guardian newspaper.

In case you do not already know it, that paper has a "media"

section that online viewers may read in order to keep up with

media events throughout the world.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
This is a bit off-topic, but what the heck. On his blog, Greenslade writes:

"Snell's major concern is about the future of journalism, which he views as 'a fundamental cornerstone of a strong democracy and an open and progressive society.'" But he fears that with the decline of print journalism is "in danger." (Source: Roy Greenslade: The difference between reporting and journalism | Media | guardian.co.uk.)

It would've been generous of Greenslade to place a comma after "print," for it is not "print journalism" that is in decline, but "print."

I apologize for intruding on your thread, panicmonger.

Last edited:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Thank you

Neither a journalist nor a reporter, but at face value and without the aid of a dictionary, my inference would be that, in general, a journalist covers a much broader area of news, documentaries, possibly including his/her opinions etc. whereas a reporter is much more directly involved in "reporting" events as he/she observes them or as they are "reported" to him/her.

Barb_D: Are you there?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm here, and I use the word interchangeably when I'm talking about the person who called and wants an interview.

I agree that the work of a reporter seems more direct -- read about, interview, investigate, and report -- while the work of a journalist is broader and can include the editorial and production end of things.

I must disagree with Jasmin. The phrase "print journalism" to refer to newspapers (primarily) and magazines is well established. Meanwhile, the news flourishes online and on TV, although I personally get a lot of my news from the radio.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
I'm here, and I use the word interchangeably when I'm talking about the person who called and wants an interview.

I agree that the work of a reporter seems more direct -- read about, interview, investigate, and report -- while the work of a journalist is broader and can include the editorial and production end of things.

I must disagree with Jasmin. The phrase "print journalism" to refer to newspapers (primarily) and magazines is well established. Meanwhile, the news flourishes online and on TV, although I personally get a lot of my news from the radio.

"But he fears that with the decline of print journalism is 'in danger.'"

The sentence doesn't make sense if one construes "print journalism" as you have. If "print journalism" is one term, what, then, is in danger?

Snell fears that journalism is in danger because of the decline of print. That's how I understand the sentence.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"But he fears that with the decline of print journalism is 'in danger.'"

The sentence doesn't make sense if you construe "print journalism" as you have. If "print journalism" is one term, what, then, is in danger?

Snell fears that journalism is in danger because of the decline of print. That's how I understand the sentence.
Yes, I agree, that's the only way the sentence makes sense.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I went through and read the article, and I agree with you now.

But I almost wonder if his sentence was poorly written -- Like he started to say "With the decline in print journalism, journalism is in danger" and he saw the double word (or and editor did) and struck it out. While there is a decline of print journalism, there isn't' a real decline in "print" itself. (if the amount of junk mail I receive every day has to do with that). Or maybe he does use "print" as shorthand for "print journalism"? I don't know. But in any case, you are certainly correct about that sentence as written.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I understood it immediately as 'the decline in the number of newspapers being printed'; after reading the article itself, I thought he might have meant 'the decline in the amount/quality of journalism appearing in print'.

For me, Barb's 'With the decline in print journalism, journalism is in danger' is less likely, but who knows?

Whatever he meant, the comma is necessary, as Jasmin pointed out. Had he put it there, we might well not have noticed any problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.