Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
Hey there

I am bit confused about what the difference is between a College and a University. Is it just a UK vs. US thing where in the UK people say University and in the US people say College?

Or is there also Universities in the US, and if so how are they different from a College?

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I found plenty of information when I googled "university college difference". And here too.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
NOT A TEACHER.

The answer to your question is country-specific. In Canada for example, there's a significant difference between a college and a university. It is easier to get into a college than a university because your grades don't have to be as good, and colleges tend to be less theory-oriented than universities. There are also junior colleges, which are on an even lower level than colleges.

I'm not sure what the situation is like in the States, but my impression is that sometimes when Americans say "college," what they really mean is "university."

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US there are technically colleges and universities. What the distinctions are exactly, I do not know. But university is definitely a step up. I have seen a few local colleges "become" universities, making a big deal out of changing names.

That all said, in normal speech we say that someone "goes to college" or talk about "back when I was in college." Even if that college is technically a university. We don't say "go to university" the way Britons do.

Status
Not open for further replies.