Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As is said, "It's the fool is the wise man, and the wise man the fool". Well, I don't know about wise but I'm certainly a fool, and just to prove it I'm to take the liberty of requesting confirmation for what's considered, by yours truly, something of a formality in respect of. A bit of a 'dead ringer' if I'm to be as bold. To save time, and for any person just jumped in and disinclined to thrall backwards through the spate of replies referencing this thread, relax. Put your feet up. Here's as it is - does as follows " This, to an extent, represented by one side of a prison wing, and with inmates thereof required to hear all manner of diatribe from performances only rarely interspersed with any others of quality." constitute, as I believe it to, a grammatically incorrect sentence? I would certainly appear to. Who am I to argue with myself, when with the participle represented having no finite verb linking it directly with the subject (the implied subject) This. To emphasize, for any like me less than au fait with grammer, sorry grammar, I am not a teacher. I am not, but with that possibility that none such, or none as consider themselves proficient in the subject, take the trouble to verify or, 'horror of horrors', repudiate my contention, well, that's to leave us ignoramusus a touch unsure. However, let's not get excited. We'll wave goodbye to uncertainty right now. I should coco. Because where, and to what extent malignant, should human beings be left were it not for our indefatigable belief in one another? Nowhere much I'd say. And please don't anyone suggest, for it's too terrible for words, that such is where humanity finds itself this minute. Pray, remark not! Let's have no such talk comrades, and content ourselves as confident, in my opinion of the sentence as a grammatical washout. Do so, when not a whisper to the contrary. Should courage fail you however, ask around yourselves! Oh revere, mes amis.
:roll:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Response to post #22:
...easy to understand. They could use in in kindergarten - what's difficult about that [...]? Try reading Japanese: that's hard - so I'm told!

Last edited:

JIM1984

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
UK
As applicable:

The Curse

Lord, confound this surly sister,​
Blight her brow with blotch and blister,
Cramp her larynx, lung, and liver,
In her guts a galling give her.

Let her live to earn her dinners
In Mountjoy* with seedy sinners:
Lord this judgement quickly bring,
And I'm your servant, J, M, Synge.

*Mountjoy Prison in Dublin

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Five and Jim ! I should save this conversation of you on the harddisk before any of the moderators erase it from the site.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Five and Jim ! I should save this conversation of you on the harddisk before any of the moderators erase it from the site.
Do it quickly then. ;-)

JIM1984

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
UK
This is definitely my last word on the subject. Hah! I simply can't resist to tell it, though it would probably have spread like wildfire anyway. What, says you? It's true the thing has been a while coming; I first registered on this site two whole weeks ago. It's been worth it for all that though, coz I've just been handed the mantel of unofficial grammarian for English Language (ESL) Learning Online - UsingEnglish.com. Alright, alright so there wasn't a lot of competition, but a man can only play the cards that come his way. Sweeping changes can be expected. Those staff of yore unable to see the forest for the trees take note; give up your auld nonsense or go the way of the dodo. There's only so much as can be got out of 'positionally personalized past prerogatives', and that's for sure. I'll be giving out plenty of advice at least once a year. That can be relied upon, and I've managed to pencil in the 31\6\'11 as a likely first date. I'm off now to see 'the quare one'.

Last edited:

JIM1984

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
UK
Never say never, but never say definitely either. He-he-he! My apologies for post # 20, it was sloppy - no excuses! It looks OK now though, all my fans will be glad to hear. I would not be at all surprised if it wins me The Noble Prize For Literature. In fact - I kinda expect it!

Last edited:

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Jim, what's a mantel of grammarian?

Reactions: 5jj

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

JIM1984

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
UK
I appreciate English ain't your native brogue, and with that mantle for mantel. Birdeen, it's a bit like brogue for shoe, only not quite. Yeah, mea culpa.

JIM1984

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
UK
Another thing Birdeen, which you might find a bit oblique, but don't worry about any full-time anoraks!

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Another thing Birdeen, which you might find a bit oblique, but don't worry about any full-time anoraks!
A bit oblique? It's an understatement. I haven't a slightest idea what you mean... :-? But it doesn't seem to be a linguistic debate anyway, so I'll leave.

JIM1984

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
UK
A bit oblique? It's an understatement. I haven't a slightest idea what you mean... :-? But it doesn't seem to be a linguistic debate anyway, so I'll leave.

Anorak is a word used, informally, to describe a studious or obsessive person with largely solitary interests. It is just some well intentioned advice, and nothing more than that. You are correct insofar as there is no debate, which if it ever existed in the first place does so no more. However, linguistics* there is!

* A plural noun [treated as singular]
Incidentally, and to further help any in his, her, or their pursuit of world domination, the colon :)) is a punctuation mark which should never be followed by a dash (-). :- gets you no votes Birdeen.

Looking at this, your original reply arrived to me as 'I haven't a slightest idea what you mean... .:-?', and was replaced by a smiley. I can't work that out! It arrived as I haven't a slightest idea what you mean... .:-? I give up, any time I attempt to replicate your punctuation it comes up as a smiley. Sorry!

Last edited:

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
A combination of a colon, a hyphen and a question mark gives that smiley.

JIM1984

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
UK
A combination of a colon, a hyphen and a question mark gives that smiley.
Right, that explains it, thanks. So you did not err then. However, you did when using the indefinite article (a) instead of the definite (the): 'I haven't a slightest idea what you mean'. Off the top of my head it is hard for me to explain why, but perhaps it's because the idea you are referring to has to be a specific idea regards to what it is you are unsure about. I'm not a teacher, but simply put it is not a term a native English speaker would use. For as long as I have been alive I've never heard it as other than ' I haven't the slightest idea, etc.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I don't know the reason either, but it seems you're right. Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I don't know the reason either, but it seems you're right. Thank you.
We use the with superlative adjectives, though we can sometimes omit it in informal conversation, particularly after BE:

A: Peckinpah's westerns were better were better than Mann's.
B: Ford's were (the) best

If a noun (singular or plural) is qualified by a superlative adjective, then logically there cannot be any other nouns in that superlative class, so a/an is inappropriate,

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Yes, that's right, but we say, "in a most interesting way". I thought it was a similar thing here, but my searches prove it isn't. I found only one author thinking my way:

She hasn't got a faintest idea and she doubts that her parents care.

(A Note on Transnational Consanguinity, or, Kinship in the Age of Terrorism. Anthropological Quarterly, Fall2004, Vol. 77 Issue 4, p747-770, 24p)

Status
Not open for further replies.