Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In this example, does "would" mean politeness no conditional nuance?
like in "I would say..., I would imagine...."? as I haven't found "would encourage" in that kind of polite category examples.

(From a teacher to a student who asked for a letter of reference for a Future Leaders scholarship.) : He is trying not to do it.
.....Your grades have consistently been A's and B's in my class. Since this is the final semester that I have had you in class, however, I do not feel I am the right person to provide information on your leadership skills. I would encourage you to request a reference letter from those teachers with whom you have had the most opportunity to demonstrate those skills..............

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In this example, does "would" mean politeness no conditional nuance?
like in "I would say..., I would imagine...."? as I haven't found "would encourage" in that kind of polite category examples.

I learn English and at the same time I teach English.
---------------------------------------------------

Don't you think that "conditional" structure could be a way to be polite. What I mean is that imagine there are some words missing in that sentence:

"if I am allowed I would encourage you ..."

What I am trying to say is that if "I would say..." means politeness that's because it is originally from a conditional context. When we talk "conditionally" we are talking politely. So you don't need to find "I would encourage..." in the list of "politeness" phrases. It is one of them even if it is not mentioned in the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.