Results 1 to 10 of 10
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Nov 2005
    • Posts: 631
    #1

    reacting quickly

    I am not sure if the underlined parts sound natural . If not, what is your suggestion?

    I am afraid of driving because I don't react quickly to sudden change. For exmaple, if a car in front of me stops suddenly, I am late and sometimes I hit the car.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Oct 2008
    • Posts: 1,211
    #2

    Re: reacting quickly

    I am afraid of driving because I don't react quickly to sudden changes. For example, if a car in front of me stops suddenly, I am too slow to react and sometimes I hit the car.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Nov 2005
    • Posts: 631
    #3

    Re: reacting quickly

    Thanks for your reply. By the way, is there any word that refers to a person who reacts very slowly in a certain situation? For example, he/she doesn't understand the humour and later he/she laughs. Or her mother is very upset, but she doesn't notice it and do whatever she usually does and makes her mother more upset. What do you call that kind of person in English?

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #4

    Re: reacting quickly

    Quote Originally Posted by bosun View Post
    Thanks for your reply. By the way, is there any word that refers to a person who reacts very slowly in a certain situation? For example, he/she doesn't understand the humour and later he/she laughs. Or her mother is very upset, but she doesn't notice it and do whatever she usually does and makes her mother more upset. What do you call that kind of person in English?
    One (colloquial) term in BrE is "slow on the uptake".

  2. Khosro's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 530
    #5

    Re: reacting quickly

    Quote Originally Posted by jlinger View Post
    I am afraid of driving because I don't react quickly to sudden changes. For example, if a car in front of me stops suddenly, I am too slow to react and sometimes I hit the car.
    I would say:"I am not quick enough and sometimes..." so that I could avoid repeating "react".

  3. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #6

    Re: reacting quickly

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    One (colloquial) term in BrE is "slow on the uptake".
    ... which can be shortened to just 'slow'. If you're late in laughing at a joke, you might say 'Excuse me - I'm a bit slow'.

    In the context of driving it seems to me a bit excessive to say 'slow to react to changes'; such a driver - and I'm one - just has 'slow reactions'.

    b

  4. konungursvia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 5,158
    #7

    Re: reacting quickly

    Quote Originally Posted by bosun View Post
    I am not sure if the underlined parts sound natural . If not, what is your suggestion?

    I am afraid of driving because I don't react quickly to sudden change. For exmaple, if a car in front of me stops suddenly, I am late and sometimes I hit the car.
    In AmE, this doesn't sound unnatural.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,494
    #8

    Re: reacting quickly

    Quote Originally Posted by jlinger View Post
    I am afraid of driving because I don't react quickly to sudden changes. For example, if a car in front of me stops suddenly, I am too slow to react and sometimes I hit the car.
    Good answer, jlinger.

    Bosun, you could also add, 'I must get into the habit of leaving more space between my car and the one in front'.

    Rover

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 120
    #9

    Re: reacting quickly

    So you have poor reflexes, bad hand-and-eye coordination, and lacking in spatial awareness to be able to drive confidently?

  5. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #10

    Re: reacting quickly

    Quote Originally Posted by magimagicE View Post
    So you have poor reflexes, bad hand-and-eye coordination, and lacking in spatial awareness to be able to drive confidently?
    That's easy enough for you to say, but I doubt whether it helps the OP

    (Incidentally, in BE it's 'hand-eye coordination', and the last clause could do with a verb.)

    b

    PS Also, 'to be able' isn't quite right. You need to have too much or too little or just the right amount of something 'to be able...'; in short, you have to express an amount before you use it: 'He has just enough X to be Y.'
    Last edited by BobK; 02-Feb-2011 at 15:09. Reason: added PS

Similar Threads

  1. Quickly
    By roreta in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-May-2008, 12:11
  2. as quickly as
    By honyk in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-Jan-2008, 07:39
  3. Quickly
    By CassidyJensInc in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-Dec-2007, 19:34

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •