• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

ousted

Could you please tell me if the passage below is grammatically correct? Is the word "ousted" correctly used here as an adjective? Thanks.

Likely, if the political system succeeds in getting rid of the loyalists of the ousted President, it will win public legitimacy which will cool the masses off. But if the system sticks to the path of corruption, the public, which is mostly quite secular, might turn to the religious option, not because of its religiosity, but because the religious movement is the only one which is capable of replacing the corrupt government.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Re: ousted

Quote Originally Posted by motico View Post
    Could you please tell me if the passage below is grammatically correct? Is the word "ousted" correctly used here as an adjective? Thanks.

Likely, if the political system succeeds in getting rid of the loyalists of the ousted President, it will win public legitimacy which will cool the masses off. But if the system sticks to the path of corruption, the public, which is mostly quite secular, might turn to the religious option, not because of its religiosity, but because the religious movement is the only one which is capable of replacing the corrupt government.
    "Ousted Kyrgyzstan President" and "ousted President of Tunisia" is what I've found in an internet search. But both presidents have been forced out of power. if it's the same for the President you wrote about, then "ousted" is appropriate.

I am not sure about "religiosity". I think "religiosity" is different from "being religious". Here I suggest: "not because of it's being religious, ...".
    --------------------------------------------------
    I learn English and at the same time I teach English.
    --------------------------------------------------

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: ousted

Quote Originally Posted by motico View Post
    Not a teacher only a native.
    If I were writing this statement I would word it as follows:

If the political system succeeds in getting rid of the remaining loyalists of the ousted President, it is likely to win public legitimacy and appease the masses. However, if the government continues to be viewed as corrupt, the public, which is mostly secular, might turn to the religious alternative. This is not due to the religious beliefs or attitudes of the public, but that the religious movement is the only one which is capable of replacing the corrupt government.

To answer your other question, I believe you have used the word 'ousted' correctly.

Hope this helps,
    Sam